From the Chronicle Kitchen
PEEPS Meringue Tartlets
Toasted yellow Chicks take the place of meringue in these delightful lemon curd-filled mini tarts. You’ll need twelve 3 1/2- to 4-inch tartlet pans with removable bottoms to make this recipe. Watch carefully when you toast the Chicks; their yellow sugar coating will burn quickly! You can bake the tartlet shells up to 2 days ahead; store in an airtight container at room temperature.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (about 12 ounces) purchased lemon curd or prepared lemon or vanilla pudding
24 yellow PEEPS® Chicks
1. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugar until well blended. Beat in the egg. In a small bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until well combined. Wrap the dough in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours and up to 1 week.
2. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Press a dough piece over the bottom and up the sides to the rim of each of twelve 3 1/2- to 4-inch tartlet pans with removable bottoms; the dough should be about 1/8 inch thick. Place the dough-lined tartlet pans on a rimmed baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
3. Transfer the baking sheet directly from the freezer to the oven and bake the tartlet shells until golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes. Press the bottoms of the pans one at a time to release the tart shells and set them upright on the rack to cool completely.
4. Just before serving, preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the tartlet shells on a clean baking sheet and spoon about 2 tablespoons of the lemon curd into each. Place 2 Chicks side by side on each tartlet.
5. Bake for 1 to 2 minutes, just until the Chicks are slightly melted and starting to brown. Serve immediately.
Makes 12 tartlets
Click here for more great recipes.
Senior Marketing Manager
Pasta by HandMarch 27th, 2015
Lollipop Love!March 12th, 2015
Ciao, Biscotti!March 9th, 2015
Delicious Dumplings for Chinese New YearFebruary 19th, 2015
Pour Some Sugar On MeFebruary 14th, 2015