Food

Alice Waters and the Edible Schoolyard

One of America’s most influential chefs, Alice Waters created a revolution in 1971 when she introduced local, organic fare at her Berkeley, California, restaurant, Chez Panisse. Twenty-five years later, she and a small group of teachers and volunteers turned over long-abandoned soil at an urban middle school in Berkeley and planted the Edible Schoolyard. Learn more about the project in this video.

Where do you go for local, organic food in your community? Leave a comment below and you’ll be entered to win one of five copies of Edible Schoolyard plus a signed Alice Waters bookplate!

Peter Perez
Senior Marketing Manager

• KimberlyMichelle April 22, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I head to the newest restaurant in town, Grange, which is all local & sustainable food. I grew up loving my unique adventures at Sierra Mar (in Big Sur) and the fact that they had their own veggie garden on site… now I love that so many restaurants are trying to do just that!

• Leah Greenstein April 22, 2009 at 2:37 pm

I always try to hit the Hollywood Farmers Market, which is near my house and a wealth of fresh, local ingredients. I also try to buy all my meat from J&J – they’re grassfed beef is consistently top-notch and they’re based out of SoCal! And when I need rosemary, I walk down my block with a Leatherman – people in L.A. plant it for ground cover without realizing how delicious it is. Oh, and the giant lemon tree in my yard is a great source for about 2/3rds the year.

• Michelle April 22, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Living in the city, it’s hard to find local produce in Miami. However, when they are open I always visit the local berry farms, Burr’s and Knaus’. Great natural and organic produce! When these shut down for the hot, humid summer, I travel to a year-round place called Norman Brothers. They carry local produce and natural products. I don’t eat out much so I go to my kitchen to find something organic & local. I make something great like organic Mexican vegetable lasagna or all-natural 4 Mustard chicken sandwiches.

• Naomi April 22, 2009 at 7:42 pm

We head to our backyard where we have a big vegetable garden and several compost piles in the works. We live in the middle of Kansas where you would think that there would be more locally-grown options (it’s the heartland of our country, right?) but sadly there isn’t a CSA program in town and even the farmer’s market seems to be stocked mostly with produce grown in other places- California, Georgia, etc.

I would love to read The Edible Schoolyard since my daughter is going to start Kindergarten next fall.

• CG April 22, 2009 at 9:29 pm

We sarted a neighborhood group for exchanging fruit and produce. We meet a few times a year to trade garden goodies. A few of us started keeping laying hens rectntly. We seek out local producers too. The quality and vareity (all year long!) is amazing.

CG

• Susanna April 23, 2009 at 6:17 am

The best locally grown food is from my backyard! But we also have a great farmers market with lots of local produce (though not always organic in this area)

• tiffany April 23, 2009 at 6:37 am

oh… alice waters is one of my heroes!
    i get my organic goods from my own garden, our local co-op, and the farmer’s market.
    and my classroom has a lovely organic garden in which the children tend to and then harvest and eat for snack. waters and her edible schoolyard have been a great inspiration to me… and have greatly influenced the reason why and the way we garden in my classroom. i can’t wait to take a look at this book!
    (oh! and one of our favorite local restaurants in greenfield mass uses all local and organic fare… it really is a lovely revolution she started!)

• Angel Funk April 23, 2009 at 12:30 pm

We use a local CSA and shop at a farmer’s market down the street. And plant our own garden, too!

• sherri s. April 23, 2009 at 7:38 pm

We belong to a local CSA…it’s so fun to pick up our box and see what’s inside! We’re in SoCal, so we get tons of strawberries, oranges for squeezing, gorgeous beets, kale, chard…hungry now, off to eat dinner, made from our CSA bounty! (P.S., I love Alice Waters–eating at Chez Panisse was a life-changing experience for me back in the eighties!)

• Laura April 25, 2009 at 11:48 am

We’ve been going to the Alemany Farmer’s Market in San Francisco every Saturday morning for the past 5 years. The farmers are our friends now. Quite a few haven’t been certified organic because of the cost to be certified, but in all other ways their produce IS organic. We can buy almost three times as much food at Alemany than at the Ferry Plaza.

• patty, GH April 26, 2009 at 6:39 am

a wonderful cause and program that schools around the country should emulate. thanks for publishing the book!!

• Kim April 26, 2009 at 7:00 pm

it’s such a blessing that Trader Joe’s carries some organic items, but by far my favorite places are the local produce stands around the area where i live in the Santa Ynez Valley (north of Santa Barbara)…with a special shout-out to the Classic Organic vegie stand at Nojoqui Farms barn!!

• Deb April 30, 2009 at 8:30 pm

In Minneapolis, Spoonriver is a great restaurant using local and organic. It’s located next to the new Guthrie Theater and the Mississippi riverfront. The owner, Brenda Langton also started the Mill City Farmers Market nearby to promote local, sustainable, and organic agriculture.