DIY, Home

Chronicle Craft: Do You Give A Frock?

craftblogicon.jpg

One of our favorite new releases is the beautifully illustrated tongue in cheek style guide, Like I Give A Frock by Michi Girl. This witty style book is packed with fashion advice and hilarious do’s and don’ts all illustrated by the beloved Kat Macleod. We’ve long been fans of Kat’s lush illustrations using fabric, water colors, and mixed media. Kat’s work has been featured in many magazines and blogs and we were so excited to see the recent post from Oh Joy (a fantastic design blog you should visit!) featuring some spreads from Like I Give A Frock:

Photo courtesy Oh Joy

Kat’s illustrations pair perfectly with Michi’s wicked fashion forecasting:
On the practical, but ugly, oversized tote: Killed someone and haven’t got time to hide the body? This massively awkward bag is perfect for life’s misdemeanors.
Tight pants: If we can see what you had for breakfast and your bottom looks like a bag of peanuts, they might be a frac too tight.
Wearing white to a wedding: There is a golden rule that says one should never wear white to a wedding, for one may be mistaken for the bride. I would have thought that having the groom as an accessory was a dead giveaway.

We think you’ll love this sweet package as much as we do and so we’re offering up 3 copies, just tell us your biggest fashion faux pas in the comment section below and we’ll have Michi pick her favorites. Don’t worry about being nice!

Check out more Chronicle Craft posts.

Christina Loff
Craft Publicist

• be_are_why April 23, 2009 at 2:53 pm

this weekend it will be 88 degrees in NYC, I must break out the Daisy Dukes.

• lexi April 23, 2009 at 3:02 pm

It completely pains me to share this with you. In fact, I am at odds to dredge up my horrible, nightmare causing past because it causes my whole body to tense up.

Here goes: imagine this – a painfully thin me, very tall at 16, to ‘hide’ my thin, I convinced myself that: Keppers and a Malcolm X tee shirt were the way to go.

I am going to have to go running from the computer now screaming. For realz.

The book looks incredibly gorgeous. A delight in any bookshelf or bedside.

• marco April 23, 2009 at 4:50 pm

i used to rock a royal blue silk bathrobe over jeans and a budweiser shirt, whilst carrying around a stuffed bear, or bunny and talking to strangers on muni… in retrospect, it wasn’t so much a fashion thing (though it did look damn good) as it was a way to strike up conversations…
    i now often wear a 90′s, arizona/native american style womens size xl psychedelic poncho… so there is likely a chance i’m just crazy.

• Cate April 23, 2009 at 6:03 pm

forgetting to wear a bra on the day the photographer was booked to take staff photographs for the internet.

• Pepper April 23, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I was sporting a side crimped pony tail until the end of high school…..I’m only 23….

• Susanna April 24, 2009 at 5:43 am

Big baggy t-shirts throughout high school… If it suggested I had a figure, i wouldn’t wear it. Thank goodness I’m moved past that phase.

• Kristy April 24, 2009 at 2:43 pm

My worst had to be in junior high, circa late 80s/early 90s. It of course was my favorite outfit at the time, so I remember it with a combination of nostalgia/horror. The entire outfit consisted of this:
    1) black stonewashed jeans with an elastic waistband, and then I pegged and rolled said jeans to display . . .
    2) 3 different colored neon socks – hot pink, lime green and bright yellow- on each foot (not in exact order of course – had to “mix it up”)
    3) oversized black shirt with neon puffy paint and mini-mirrors all over the front(yes, little mirrors surrounded by puffy paint designs). Puffy paint designs on shirt perfectly matched the sock selection, of course.

• Jessica April 26, 2009 at 8:20 am

Mine involves my entire freshman year of high school, when I wore huge, bright red hiking boots and a huge furry trapper hat pretty much every day…yes, even in the summer.

• carmen April 26, 2009 at 9:30 am

back in 8th grade, for some reason, my mom was still picking out my clothes. she would lay them on the end of my bed and i would wake up in the morning, put them on, and stumble out to the bus stop, barely tolerating the sunshine. one time, i woke up and found skin-tight, neon yellow top, made of some kind of translucent spandex, and a black and white houndstooth mini-skirt. mind you, i didn’t really wear shirts, and this was in the 90′s, when baggy was cool, so i didn’t wear tight shirts. but, this is what my mom picked out, so i went to school and endured abject humiliation. when i got home, i found out that my mom had laid out clean jeans and a flannel shirt. i had put on clothes that were in her ‘discard from the early 80′s’ pile.

• Lisa April 26, 2009 at 9:30 am

After remembering many fashion mistakes in my life, I think I’ve narrowed it down to when I was in sixth grade and fell in love with a product called Pizazz Mousse – a colored hair mousse ( anyone remember). I fell in love with the bronzy sparkly color they offered and occassionally would put a punky streak in my hair. One day getting ready for school I decided more was better…right? And proceed to use the entire can on my hair. 15 minutes later and a bronze greasy drippy mess I realized what a mistake I had made but the bus had pulled up. As the remainder of mousse dripped out on my forehead and clothes for the rest of the day I think I cemented how uncool I was for the rest of my adolescence. So remember less is more!

• Courtney April 26, 2009 at 9:31 am

Oh, high school. I’ve always been a big fan of the stuff, but that really exploded when I was 16 or so. I would wear, on a daily basis, 3 rings and 4 or 5 necklaces. I was like some kind of anti-Mr. T.

• Kelly April 26, 2009 at 9:54 am

Middle school in the late 70′s. Catholic girl in a sea of Mormons.That didn’t make me weird enough so my mother decided we should be vegetarians and shop for clothes at yard sales and thrift stores(She was way ahead of her time) I stuck mostly to 501 jeans and ratty t-shirts. My mom would bring home things that she thought would look good on me. Of course I always hated everything, but one day she struck gold. Very vintage looking cotten dresses. My older hippy sister wanted them but they fit me. The first day I wore one to school by lunch I had a pack of the nasty girls at school following me around. In typing class the teacher asked the girls what they were laughing and pointing at. The leader of the pack replied that I seemed to be wearing one of her dead grandmother’s housedresses.One that she was sure her mother had dropped off at the thrift store. The teacher became a Goddess in that next moment. While I was waiting for the floor to swallow me up whole, my teacher answered her. She told the entire class that it was too bad that the leader of the pack didn’t have enough good taste and sense of style to have kept the dress for herself. I could never bring myself to wear the dress to school again but because of that teacher I learned to trust my own sense of style.

• Erin April 26, 2009 at 10:16 am

From the age of 6 to 12, I wore oversized novelty t-shirts, bright colored leggings, and an even brighter colored headband every single day. Note: this was well into the late nineties, well after this look was acceptable. *shudder*

• jenn April 26, 2009 at 10:20 am

just reading the previous comments brought a flood of disastrous fashion mistakes screaming back…

jr high…it was the 80s. i think every day was a fashion disaster then.

high school…the grunge look was in, i was an art student. need i say more?

college. i have no idea. except i was/am 5’11″ and slender and wore a men’s size XL everything.

now-a-days? i know i dress better. though my boyfriend says my clothes are still too big.

• nichole April 26, 2009 at 11:16 am

oh so many to choose from…

pink/black undies, mother of the boyfriend stops by, white pants are the fastest grab… nuf said.

• Isabel April 26, 2009 at 11:19 am

big, Big, BIG glasses back at school .. that late 80s ¬¬

• Celina April 26, 2009 at 11:42 am

While in college I desperately wanted to try the “tough-looking-boots-with-feminine-skirt” look, and purchased some expensive (for college me) biker boots. One fateful day I decided to try the look with a short, polka-dotted vintage skirt–white polka-dots on burnt orange background. I don’t remember what top I wore, but that doesn’t really matter because I remember being so incredibly cold all day. It was Seattle, blustery, rainy, and cloudy and my bottom half looked like I was ready for an outdoor concert of sorts. I arrived at class with red, wind-burned legs, and had to wear my scarf all day. At one point, during class, my teacher (a handsome, Robert Redford look-alike) looked me up and down with a bemused look on his face. At that point, I knew that I had made a mistake and that the outfit would never show it’s ugly face again.

• jennie April 26, 2009 at 12:13 pm

fashion faux pas? where to begin?!
    My current is wearing clothes that are a size too big thus hiding my body and any shape. My most cringe-worthy memory comes from junior high years in the mid 80s, rocking an oversized button down shirt in bright magenta with large black checks, white leggings and a silver rope belt. Lord only knows what shoes I was wearing, I seem to have blocked that memory!

• Carolyn April 26, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I hit my wacky phase somewhere around 8th or 9th grade, and while just about every outfit from that era would probably be chagrin-inducing, one especially gilded treasure is coming to mind at the moment:

Imagine, if you will, a short, busty lass with naturally curly hair forced into kinky “straight”-ness, her slightly bubbular butt covered with high-waisted glittery blue pleather pants, torso plastered with a neon yellow t-shirt covered with an airbrushed goldfish.

My mother refuses to throw away the pictures.

• Terri D. April 26, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Out of some misguided sense of cool, I wore a sticker star smack in the middle of my forehead through much of high school.

• Kysha Plante April 26, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I had a spiked mullet and huge glasses for all of 5th and 6th grade. I wore only black, navy and maroon. I am only 4’11″ but I wore cargo pants combat boots from a surplus store that had to have been at least 2 sizes too big (size 5 not really popular in the military). I also painted my nails black and wore black lipstick. I’m now 30 so this was way before goth or emo were cool. I guess I was a trend setter with the black. The mullet no so much!

• Chancey April 26, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Unconfidence is the worst fashion faux pas no matter what you are wearing.

• LittleWit April 26, 2009 at 3:14 pm

I too am sporting the short shorts due to the hot temperatures this weekend. Those and a tiny camisole and let’s just Stacey and Clinton would not approve of me leaving the house ;)

• RobynE April 26, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Black bra under light colored shirt.
    Socks with trail sandals.
    Tight rolled jeans.

• Kristen April 26, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Sometimes I get carried away while putting together an outfit and I relive my childhood by matching every single piece of my outfit so that it looks like an outfit that you buy already put together. I prefer the look of a graceful matching, but sometimes the ease of matching one or two colors throughout an outfit calls me.

• Eileen April 26, 2009 at 5:12 pm

High school- for around two years I wore at least 14 necklaces, two of which had small bells, a plaid shirt (my brother’s) as a jacket, and patched jeans (with more patches than denim.) To complete the look I carried a purse I made of denim pants that had camel bell attached and I had a cow bell at my side. A friend stole the cow bell from his neighbor’s cow-my cousin’s cow. I got kicked out of algebra class for not taking off the cow bell when one guy in the back of the class kept on mooing. I was out of the class for two weeks. This was in 1972 and I still got an “A” in the class. (And I still have the cow bell.)

• Lorene April 26, 2009 at 6:02 pm

My biggest fashion faux pas: wearing a zippered skirt despite the fact that it was missing its hook and eye. It sounds so banal and yet, it turns out that hooks and eyes are vital for one’s modesty. I was walking down the hallway at work when suddenly by skirt simply fell to the floor. I quickly reached down to pick it back up and turned to find an aged co-worker standing stock still in frozen silence. “Did I just see what I thought I saw?” he asked in bemusement. Unfortunately for me, he had…

• Bonnie Boogaard April 26, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Which do I choose?
    I think after going from non-stop boobtubes and miniskirts, to all black and spikes – but yet still in miniskirts and anything revealing, i had my years full of fashion faux pas. Now of course, I have finally come to my senses and gone for a more colourful, fun and stylish wardrobe. But then again…. I think my latest faux pas would be when I was on holiday in Tokyo, some reason I was inspired to wear metalic purple tights, two green mini tutus, a bright pink loose shirt, and a red trench coat. All finished off with a shiny bow belt and black Dr Martins…
    At least I was out of the country…

This book looks fantastic.

• lilacsigil April 26, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I had a magnificently drop-waisted, mint green dress made out of cheap t-shirt fabric. Even better, it had an enormous picture of a crying clown on the front. Just to top it off, the clown’s tears were glitter. I wish I could say I wore it ironically.

• Emily April 27, 2009 at 5:51 am

Where do I begin? Crimped hair. French rolled jeans. Esprit sweatshirts (Olive Green in particular). Stirrup pants (in Olive Green with flowers to match my sweatshirt of course!). Big headbands. Matching my braces band color with my outfits. I even rocked a pair of purple Girbaud jeans (always with a turquoise t-shirt).

• Jennifer April 27, 2009 at 9:27 am

Rainbow striped baby tee with pigtails high on my head. I wore this to represent my high school in a video conference with the White House 10 years ago. Looking back, this probably was not a good idea.

• Connie Reed April 27, 2009 at 11:21 am

One of my fashion faux pauxs happened when I was in high school. We were very poor so usually had to wear second hand or pass down clothing. I was very excited then to get a brand new “hot pants” (probably most of you wont remember these) set, a baby doll type top, split down the front, paired with extremely short shorts for my birthday. In great excitement, I headed off to schoiol. After being asked repeatedly why I was wearing my pj s to school, I realised my set had come from the sleepwsear department.

• miss james April 27, 2009 at 12:13 pm

when i was in high school i used to beg and plead with my dad to let me wear his clothes to school. i hung out with a bunch of breakdancers and was convinced that if i wore my 6’3″, 200 lb. fathers clothes on my 5’5″, 95lb body, not only would i get ALL the boys but everybody would be too preoccupied with my coolness to realize that i couldn’t do a head spin.
    turns out, my parents had more fashion sense than i.
    they cut me off at anything larger than a 36″ waist after fruitlessly pleading with me to wear clothes that fit my 24″ waist.

oh the endearing adolescent fashion faux pas.

• PandoraWilde April 27, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I knew the bra was getting old, but I needed one more babysitting job to get a new one.

I was was used to be called “busty”, so the best bras I could afford in high school were the old standbys, Playtex 18-Hour bras. They weren’t cheap for a high school kid, but then I could buy what I wanted–the catch was that their last breath was nearly always a surprise.

This particular last breath was the most embarrassing–we were doing gym warmups, and right in the middle of the jumping jacks, BAM! One of the plasic pieces holding the straps onto the cups broke! I ran for the nearest shelter–bad idea, because THAT was the BOYS’ locker room! Fortunately we had one of the male gym teachers, who had safety pins in his desk and managed to get me back to both smothered and outright laughter for the rest of class pretty quickly.

After that I kept extra pins handy in my gym uniform’s hem and stashed enough extra money to get a new bra when needed–see what a pile of embarrassment teaches a high school girl?

• Kala April 27, 2009 at 2:16 pm

I am all about the texas tuxedo!

• guinevere April 27, 2009 at 4:04 pm

I can’t get over how many of these comments are referencing the ’80s looks that all the hipster kids are now trying to replicate in earnest. Leggings? Oversized boy shirts? Denim shorts? Big sunglasses? Sounds disturbingly like the latest Urban Outfitters catalog.

And I sound like a curmudgeony old lady. ;)

• Irene April 27, 2009 at 4:39 pm

My biggest fashion faux pas happened in grade school.

My mom sold one of my favorite dresses at a big garage sale her and her cousins had one week-end. My grandmother had made me the dress; it was flower print with an embroidered smiley face on the bodice.

The next Monday after the garage sale one of my classmates was proudly wearing a new dress. When I realized it was my smiley face dress I squealed, “You’re wearing my dress!” I made her cry and I still feel horrible thinking about it today. I didn’t say it to be mean; I was just excited to see my favorite dress that I thought was gone forever.

• Wendy April 27, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Spandex cyclist-like shorts. With neon stripes on the side. For some reason me and everyone else at my school wanted to re-enact the U can’t touch this MC Hammer video every day.

• Michelle April 28, 2009 at 5:33 am

Oh, but there have been so many!

Probably the most memorable is wearing a pair of navy blue linen jeans with a limey yellow badly-sewn hemp shirt. With boat shoes. Oh, I was all class back in 1996.

• Lora April 28, 2009 at 8:08 am

Busty girls shouldn’t wear spagetti strap dresses to black tie weddings and then dance the Horah. I may have spent the rest of the evening with my wrap draped “artfully” over myself…

• Rachel April 29, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I’ve had many misguided, but well-intentioned, outfits but my current fashion faux pas is committed with full awareness of its awfulness.
    I just had a c-section so I bought huge granny panties so my daily wear, cute little undies wouldn’t rub the incision. My incision has healed, but I’m still wearing the enormous granny panties. They’re hideous, but so comfortable!

• Beng April 30, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I went to Catholic school for K-12 and wore uniforms for years. My mom picked the clothes I wore outside school. One particularly fine outfit included deep pink CULOTTES and a coordinating blouse (white with a print like pink spray paint) with flaps at the bottom to tie at the waist. My glasses weren’t just ’80s glasses, they were bifocals. I was in sixth grade. Even though bad taste abounded in the ’80s, I’m pretty sure culottes were nowhere to be seen.

• Judith July 8, 2009 at 9:08 am

Reading the posts makes me feel old, my greatest faux pas incidents date back to the 60′s when bell bottoms were new for the first time. I convinced my mother to let me buy a bright orange polyester bell bottom pants suit which I must have worn at some point, though luckily there are no photos memorializing it!