Design

Art + Design: We’d love to hear from you, and give you a 30% discount

Some seasons stand out in my mind, and this past fall the Art + Design titles published by Chronicle really stood out as a great list of books. I can’t name all of my favorites here, but I thought I’d share a few:

Bird
The astonishing sequel to Andrew Zuckerman’s runaway success Creature. There is a new gallery of images that was just posted to the Discovery Magazine website.

Pictorial Webster’s
A Visual Dictionary of Curiosities
A treasure trove of wonderful images culled from the engravings of 18th and 19th century dictionaries.

Kindling
A collection of new work by James Jean bursting with unexpected beauty. These12 large-format prints feature a lush painting on one side and a collection of intricate preliminary sketches on the other.

Taking Aim
Unforgettable Rock and Roll Photographs Selected by Graham Nash
The book – with the accompanying CD of Graham’s thoughts and insights – takes you on a tour of more than fifty years of music-making as seen through the eyes of 40 of the most notable rock and roll photographers.

The Art + Design team at Chronicle Books would love to hear about your favorite finds. Post a comment answering the questions below by March 1st. One lucky person will win a library of 5 Art + Design titles from this fall and everyone else will be sent a promo code for a 30% discount on the Chronicle Books’ website.

• Did you find a fabulous art + design item (doesn’t have to be a book) this past holiday season? Did you buy it? What was the price range?

• What was your favorite Chronicle title from this past holiday season? Did you buy it?

• Do you buy art, photography, or design books as gifts? Who do you buy books for?

• What was the last art, photography, or design book that you bought for yourself? Did you buy it on-line or in a store?

Thanks in advance for your comments. We look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Patti Quill
Marketing & Publicity Manager

• Amy January 22, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I found several books on altered art and sewing. Two were around $5 (Ollie’s) and the other was $20.

Bird by Andrew Zuckerman. No I did not buy it.

No. I just buy them for myself. My friends buy them as gifts for me.

Collage Discovery Workshop by Claudine Hellmuth. I bought it online

• Kelly January 23, 2010 at 12:38 am

-I found a previous release of a fabulous book about Ingres and was lucky enough to receive it as a gift for Christmas! I believe it was around $60.

-My fave Chronicle item (still on my wish list) is the Pictorial Webster’s. Still dropping heavy hints on that one. My birthday isn’t too far off…

-I buy DIY/design books for my sis-in-law. Modern art books for bro-in-law. Photo books for my brother and ceramic books for my mom. It runs in the family!

-I tend not to buy them for myself since my family fusses about finding good gifts for me and books are a good gift so… I will buy cool note cards and stationary for myself though!

• Terre Max January 23, 2010 at 8:58 am

I found an adorable purse based on the new Alice In Wonderland movie in Vogue magazine, great deco on it. No, can’t buy it, way too expensive for me!
    I have not bought any art, photography or design books but have looked thru the Taking Aim book and loved the pics.
    I buy books for myself. I love to read.

• Marci January 23, 2010 at 9:05 am

I am lusting after Lotta Prints! I have not bought it as yet. The price range is 20.00

I have wanted Ed Roth’s Stencil 101
    and Stencil 101 Decor for a long time-I bought Stencil 101 and love it!

I buy art and design books for everyone-especially all of my crafting friends and my family. I buy books for my students, too.

I bought Stencil 101 online with a book gift certificate I received.

• Dallas Arts Salon January 23, 2010 at 9:10 am

We are contemporary art collectors and while last year was tough to be buying we just changed our focus somewhat. While we predominantly buy art from local galleries, we bought almost all emerging artists. We also bought many prints from Jen Bekman’s 20×200.com site and art books from blurb and many photography zines particularly from photographers we know. We have helped support the relief effort in Haiti by purchasing some special editions with the proceeds going to charitable organizations. We are constantly buying art books for ourselves and for gifts. The big gift this year was the Pictorial Websters. The last art book we bought was the recently released “Jung Red Book” which we were lucky to snag one of the last ones from the first edition. Thanks.

• Christina Y January 23, 2010 at 9:10 am

I found this awesome CMYK lamp shade that would be PERFECT on my desk (http://www.meninos.us/products.php?product=Large-CMYK-Lamp-Shade) but $70 for just a lamp shade was too steep.

“Magical Menagerie: 20 Punch-Out Animals for Play and Display” by Junzo Terada. I didn’t buy it – I was hoping that someone would get it for me for Christmas, after putting it on my wishlist. I also loved the “Unbridled Passion Postcard Book” by Franco Accornero since I’m a closet romance fan. I didn’t buy it because I have no friends that would truly appreciate the cheesy cover art as much as I do. What’s the point of having postcards and no one to send them to?

Sometimes I’ll see a book that would be a great match for someone, but I’m much more likely to buy a notecard/stationery set or some kind of art kit. I like interactive gifts. Luckily, Chronicle has great sets and kits, perfect for my artsy, designer-y friends.

I purchased a big, fat sewing reference book since I’m trying to learn how to use my new sewing machine to create garments and wanted something comprehensive. I purchased it in a store because I wanted to be able to compare my options page-by-page.

I used to buy a lot more coffee table-type art, photography, and design books, but because of the economy, I find I can’t afford to spend the money them anymore. In fact, I had to resell a lot of the ones I owned when things were tight this year.

• Stacia January 23, 2010 at 9:16 am

“More Things Like This” is amazing. I love illustration, and McSweeney’s and Dave Eggers, so this just heaven for me. At about $30, I probably won’t buy it quite yet, but perhaps I’ll get this and another book all at once!

I am obsessed with fat books and illustrations, so I was so incredibly excited about Pictorial Webster’s! I haven’t bought it yet, but hopefully will be purchasing it with “More things like this.”

I always buy books as gifts, and not as gifts. I buy books all the time. It’s where my money goes.

I found a wonderful set of 3 journals called SKRWL: Triptych Journal Collection. The artwork is amazing, and each journal has either lined, graph, or blank pages. I did buy the set, and use each one for something different. Keeps me nice and organized. At $14.95 they’re a pretty good deal, and they are packaged in a really interesting plastic sleeve, so you can keep them together. I’m not sure if they’re an art+design book, but they do involve great art and design!

Thank you, Chronicle Books. You’re amazing.

• Monera January 23, 2010 at 9:18 am

Eye Candy and I believe it was 45 I bought it for my daughter(5)

We bought a number of children titles but we also presented out children with Pictorial Websters.

My oldest daughter(5) likes art quite a bit and often will want a art book for a gift. I also buy art and design for me.

The Principle of Uncertainty and I bought it online. I believe Amazon.

• Carri Shook January 23, 2010 at 9:26 am

1. No.

2. It’s not new, but I recently bought Spilling Open by Sabrina Ward Harrison & I love it. I always get all of my journals from Chronicle Books, too.

3. Yes, really for all of my friends on holidays & birthdays.

4. I bought the Brown Sisters by Nicholas Nixon at the SF MOMA.

• Sage & Style January 23, 2010 at 9:46 am

I bought the Flora + Folk Reprodepot Pattern Books for a holiday gifts this past season. I have many friends who do graphic design work and knew they’d LOVE these books. However, after flipping through them numerous times (I couldn’t resist – so pretty) I decided to keep them as inspiration for my own design blog. What can I say … colorful and fanciful patters are always inspiring and these are especially lovely.

• Sage & Style January 23, 2010 at 9:53 am

I bought the Flora + Folk Reprodepot Pattern Books for a holiday gift this past season. I have many friends who do graphic design work and knew they’d LOVE these books. However, after flipping through each numerous times (I couldn’t resist – so pretty) I decided to keep them as inspiration for my own style blog. What can I say … fanciful patterns are always inspiring and these are especially lovely.

• Anita January 23, 2010 at 10:47 am

I bought a beauuuuutiful handmade necklace ($40) for a friend from Etsy.com.

The Pictorial Websters… I did buy it, in fact, I splurged on both it and the rubber stamp set that goes with it!

Yes! I love to give books as gifts to friends and family; I bought ‘Minka’ for my uncle this past holiday season.

That’d be the Pictorial Websters mentioned above. I bought it here on Chronicle’s site!

• kevin January 23, 2010 at 10:48 am

• Yes. No, did not buy them. $25-50
    • Tartine Cookbook; yes
    • Yes. Myself and other designer/architect friends
    • Logo Lounge 4 (Rockport publishing); in a store

• Pierre Lamielle January 23, 2010 at 10:53 am

• I bought both Reprodepot pattern books (bought them retail for 45 each) and I love Macarons for Candace and my mom for Christmas. I also got her some assorted fabrics (about $150) and a couple old frames that I refurbished (about $75) and a cool glass front linen closet for her sewing area. I also bought 6 handmade books from UpperCase Gallery in Calgary crafted with old vintage books and magazines for a cool retro feel to hand out as host gifties.
    • Christmas morning was pretty funny when we discovered I bought copies of I Love Macarons for my mom and Candace, my mom bought a copy for Candace and Candace bought a copy for my mom and herself. Candace has since been trying to perfect Macarons in anticipation of our upcoming trip to Paris.
    • I generally only buy books for people, I figure there’s always a book for everyone. The kids got the new little activity versions of the Daring book for Girls and the Dangerous Book for Boys.
    • Last book for myself was Chocolate: A Love Story. It’s a cookbook, but it’s full of awesome illustrations, so it counts as an art book. I found it in the library and then bought it online.
    * It turns out I’m up against that book in the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards this year in the Illustration category. It’s a good one, so I don’t think I’d mind losing to it.

• Laura Ortega January 23, 2010 at 11:00 am

Dear Art + Design Team Members:

My answers to your questions follow.

1. I found the cutest ornaments shaped like glazed Christmas puddings. I indulged, bought all 6, at less than 5 dollars each.

2. My favorite Chronicle title this past season had to be a cookbook, as most of the books I own are cookbooks. It was “Gingerbread” by Jennifer Lindner McGlinn. My hope is to have the house smelling like gingerbread for my sweetheart during our future holiday seasons together. Perfect gift idea inside: Moravian ginger cookies. Yes, I indulged again.

3. I don’t often buy art/design/photography books as gifts although I’ve been tempted. I often buy books for myself and occasionally for one of my friends. I bought my sweetheart a book he didn’t have (yet) for his birthday last year.

4. The last art/design/photography book I bought for myself was “Pottery Barn Flowers.” I bought it at my local store.

Laura Ortega

• Carrie January 23, 2010 at 11:09 am

1. I have always wanted the original Colorforms set, and got it at a great price. It was a gift to myself :).

2. Favorite book, I Love Macarons! I gave my copy to my favorite sister-in-law, and need to get another.

3. I bought several art and design books for the kids at Christmas. I also buy for friends, inlaws and parents. I love to give books– it’s like giving little worlds to someone.

4. I bought the Pictorial Webster’s for my daughter, or so I say. I bought it from Chronicle’s online store.

• Frances January 23, 2010 at 11:34 am

I found the most beautifully designed pieces on Etsy last season. This scallop bowl ($65.00) is one of my favorite finds: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=35545612 I haven’t purchased it as yet, but I plan on getting it soon.

My favorite Chronicle item would be Cooking Up a Storm! I’m a southern girl and I miss all these cajun and creole dishes since I’ve moved to California. I didn’t buy it, but a wonderful friend remembered my mentioning it and gave it to me as a gift.

Yes, I try to find design books (like the DIY) to inspire my 13 year old niece to put down the remote control.

The last design book that I bought for myself was Sketchbooks: The Hidden Art of Designers, Illustrators & Creatives. I bought this in a Chronicle Books store.

• Paul January 23, 2010 at 11:37 am

1. Zombies: A Record of the First Year of Infection; yes; ~$20.
    2. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies; no.
    3. On occasion, primarily gifts for friends and family.
    4. 111??? / by Merkeley???. Purchased online.

• Scott Perkins January 23, 2010 at 12:13 pm

1* I picked up “The French Country House” by Christiane de Nicolay-Mazery for my sister. Found it for about $22 if memory serves, which would probably mean it was on sale.

2* Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. I bought five copies and distributed them to friends along with a moleskine notebook and a nice pen. (I like to encourage people to journal)

3* All the time. There are so many coffee-table sized art history, photography and books of maps that I had to reinforce the bottom shelves of my library to hold them all. I buy books for anyone I think might read them.

4* I bought an old book of Maurice Sendak posters from a dealer – paid about $80 for it (mint). And a beautiful folio-sized edition of Canterbury Tales illustrated by William Morris. I think I bought that one from Elliot Bay Book Co. in Seattle.

• Racheal January 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Yes! I received it as a gift. $20-25

Kindling. Not yet. How to and reference books about art/design come first, then are biographies of artists or specific eras/movements of art, then books that are just for leisure looking are on the bottom of my list.

I didn’t realize that is my process of buying art books until now!

No. I’m the only person in my immediate gift giving circle of friends and family that is interested in them. However-if I had a work related type of grab bag or yankee swap party I would buy an art/photography/design book. It’s no pressure for the person receiving it to feel like they need to read it. Sad, yes. But many people don’t want to be cornered into experiencing art…which is why I don’t buy people art books unless otherwise stated.

I recently bought a Ted Crawford book for reference. Bought in store.

• Pat January 23, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I’m trying to support local (mostly East Bay) artists, and have made several purchases over the past few months either for myself or as gifts. Sculptures in the $200 – $400 price range; jewelery under $100; and I have a really soft spot for letter press cards, which usually are in the $15 range for a set of 6 0 8. Most of the above purchased at various arts fairs or small East Bay galleries. Ellington & French in Berkeley is a great place for letterpress cards.

I have more Chronicle cookbooks than I can count, but the current favorite is The Irish Pub Cookbook.

• Andrea January 23, 2010 at 2:31 pm

• I bought a handmade screenprint from Etsy for $13.

• Savory Baking, I bought it as a gift for someone.

• I don’t usually buy coffee table books, but if its a design book that teaches me how to do something I am more likely to buy it. I buy books for myself and as gifts.

• Domino: The Book of Decorating

• Naomi January 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm

• Helen Dardik prints on etsy, $20 http://www.etsy.com/shop/helendardik I bought 2

• Craft Inc., I bought it for my husband and he loves it!

• YES!!! For myself and my husband, also for my kids and friends.

• Charley Harper An Illustrated Life, bought at a store

• Bethany January 23, 2010 at 6:36 pm

1. Did you find a fabulous art + design item (doesn’t have to be a book) this past holiday season? Did you buy it? What was the price range? Yes! I LOVE art & design books, so my wish list was full of them! Price – $12-$65

2. I’m not sure that I could say it was my favorite (because I didn’t review all of them), but I found Drawing for Interior Design on the Chronicle site and bought it for myself through Barnes & Noble.com (because I had a gift card).

3. Do you buy art, photography, or design books as gifts? Who do you buy books for? Yes, but mostly for myself! :) (Sometimes for my boyfriend…)

4. What was the last art, photography, or design book that you bought for yourself? Did you buy it on-line or in a store? I bought “Drawing for Interior Design” & “Paris Made by Hand” last week, both at the same time. I bought them online with the Barnes & Noble gift card my Dad gives me every year for my birthday.

• Mallory January 23, 2010 at 9:10 pm

1. I found OH so many. In all price ranges (from under $20 to $100+), but I didn’t end up buying any as gifts… sadly, many of the people I needed to buy gifts for are not art/design appreciators. But I did buy myself many art prints off Etsy during the holiday season ($15-$35).. holiday gifts to myself.

2. My favorite chronicle title would have to be… basically any of the children’s books. They’re the most beautiful children’s titles on the market, & I have an obsession with children’s books – despite my lack of children. They’re just a gorgeous at the the “actual” art & design books! I bought my sister “For Just One Day” for her classroom. I’m also crazy about all the “The Art of…” books – it’s so awesome seeing the inspiration/process behind some of my favorite animated films.

3. Mostly, I buy books for myself – but I also give them as gifts whenever I possibly can (especially when I’m giving to my mother/sister, and other art/reading/cooking/crafting enthusiast friends… or friends with children – then I can give picture books!)

4. I somehow lost my copy of “All Wrapped Up!: Groovy Gift Wrap of the 1960s” sometime this summer (where? I don’t know!) – so bought a replacement copy at my local book store shortly after Christmas.

• harpreet January 23, 2010 at 11:01 pm

• The Barbar tray at Ikea, I did buy it, was about 6-10USD. Also picked up some Imaginote notebooks themed on birds at a wonderful store in Singapore called Cat Socrates. About 5USD each. Funny how both items are based on ‘birds’!

• Sorry I didn’t really follow Chronicle design releases in detail, but Zuckerman’s ‘Bird’ did catch my eye.

• Yes, for very close friends.

• Corporate Diversity – Swiss Graphic Design by Geigy (Lars Müller Publishers)

• Anna January 23, 2010 at 11:03 pm

-I loved Jen Altman’s polaroid notes and I bought them–I think they were $14?

-Hands down, the Illustrated Oxford Dictionary! I bought the letter cards instead of the book to put up around my kitchen.

-Yes. I buy books for myself, for my grandma, for my parents and friends. and cousins and aunts!

-I bought 3191 year of evenings through the Other Books website, but other than that I always make my purchases through independent bookstores. The City Out My Window, by Matteo Pericoli was the last art book I purchased for myself at my local bookstore.

• Blythe January 24, 2010 at 12:39 am

1) I’m loving Kayte Terry’s books (namely Complete Embellishing and Applique Your Way) I found the first on sale at Borders (I think it was less than $5…shocking), and the latter I bought for $20. She’s great.

2) I saw so much I wanted to buy- the Pictorial Websters, more Moleskine notebooks, the Animal calendar by Andrew Zuckerman- I just couldn’t justify buying myself anything while I was supposed to be buying Christmas gifts.

3) I do, but only for certain people. Only certain folks seem to appreciate them, and I don’t want other friends to think I’m pushing my interests on them. The people I do buy those books for are usually young, artsy folks- photographers and graphic designers and students.

4) The last art book I bought for myself was A Year of Mornings by Vetesse and Barnes. I think it was around $20. I love their photos, and would love to order a print, but I think they’re around $250, which isn’t in my budget nowadays.

I hope my answers are helpful! It was no trouble writing them out. :]

• kylie gusset January 24, 2010 at 3:22 am

fabulous art/design item: bracelet from elke, which i’m rocketing for:

“i love macaroons” – i recommended that the local library buy it!

i rarely buy books for people, but i love the addons that chronicle do, and have purchased them for myself and friends eg: the card set that went with eric hansens “orchid fever”: http://www.flipkart.com/orchids-eric-hansen-chronicle-books/0811831639-h7w3f1kjdb

i’ve bought both craft inc and the craft inc business planner for myself, online.

• Ammie January 24, 2010 at 10:03 pm

•I did buy some great used books at our local library, and they were very inexpensive at about $2 a piece. In the past I’ve bought home design books for around $25 each, but not this season.

• I loved the Pictorial Webster’s, but I didn’t buy it.

• Yes, I buy art and design books (not usually photography, unless photographs of a type of craft count) for my husband. I’m afraid to buy books for my other friends & family, because our tastes differ.

• I bought several used copies of old Vogue Knitting books from our local library. I love them!

• Laura January 25, 2010 at 10:23 am

More Things Like This. Yes, I bought it.

Yes, I buy them for friends and family.

Seven Stories by Robert Frank. I bought it via phone.

• Jennifer January 25, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I found the Postcup™ by Bailey Doesn’t Bite. I wanted to buy it as a gift for a friend, but it was sold out. It costs $40.

Craft Inc. Business Planner-I actually just purchased it but I’m waiting for it to be shipped. I also liked Lettering & Type: Creating Letters and Designing Typefaces (which I also bought) and Pictorial Webster’s.

I didn’t buy any art/design books for anyone.

I just bought Freelance Design in Practice by Cathy Fishel in store. I love design and art books so I am constantly buying them all the time. Most of the time I buy them online but I love to go to Borders and browse their selection.

• rick January 25, 2010 at 8:06 pm

unfortunately no.

all cakes considered, it was a gift.

usually not as gifts, except to myself.

dark nostalgia by eva hagberg. i bought it online.

• bene January 26, 2010 at 11:34 am

* Pictorial Webster’s (yup, really) – I bought it for a friend.
    * see above
    * yup. though it’d been a while
    * over 2 years ago, in a store

• Kristine January 26, 2010 at 11:47 am

I found a copy of the DVD “Helvetica” for $20 at Rasputins. I did not buy it and wish I had now.

I’ve had my eye on Bibliographic: 100 Classic Graphic Design Books. I haven’t bought it yet, but I will soon.

I rarely buy design books for anyone else. If I buys books for someone else, it’s usual humor or non-fiction books that I’d know they’d like.

The last design book I bought was “Paul Rand
    Paul Rand: Conversations with Students”. I bought it online from Chronicle.

• Meansheets January 28, 2010 at 10:03 am

My vote for best book of the year…

ART OF THE MODERN MOVIE POSTER

I would buy hundreds of more copies if they weren’t $75 a pop!

• jules February 1, 2010 at 4:08 pm

YES – a number of locally made items here in Mpls, all under $25. I bought several people the same calendar card set by happify. looove it

– too many to name, but didn’t buy a one

Evenly split – self and gifts

- a stephen shore book I bought at a gallery, for myself.

• Lana February 5, 2010 at 5:16 pm

1. At Borders, I found a Taschen book called “Typography.” It was beautiful and had a lot of vintage typefaces in it. It was $60 but it did not have a dust jacket, so I did not purchase it. The other holiday find was Pantone expresso cup+saucers. I think they retail for around $12/set.

2. I love the Lotta Jansdotter books for her design inspiration, but am not sure which ones came out for the holidays though. “Lotta Prints: How to Print with Anything” “Simple Sewing” and “Simple Sewing for Babies” are my favorites. No, I have not purchased any of them (yet).

3. I do buy art, photography, and design books as gifts. I usually buy art and design books for myself (the art books are usually catalogues of exhibitions I visit in various cities and are thus a travel souvenirs). I usually buy photography books as gifts for family and friends.

4. The last art book I purchased was for an exhibition a number of years ago at the Boston Museum called “Americans in Paris”.