News

Relaxing vacation + beautiful location? Yes please!

In an attempt to find the next (relaxing) vacation spot, I did a bit of online ogling over the weekend on the Kiwi Collection website. We’re searching for the perfect destination: beach, beachfront hotel/b&b, not too far from California (preferably no more than 9 hours of traveling) but far enough that it feels like we’ve gone somewhere, warm weather, not too expensive, not too rustic, no lace and minimum pastels, etc…

We only recently settled on “relaxing” and “beach.” The search for the next travel destination has been going on for a while. I’ve been drooling over the Overnight Sensations: Hotels for the Discerning Traveler books that we published with Kiwi Collection ever since they landed on my desk. They feature beautiful, luxury hotels in destinations around the world. Every time I crack one of them open, I find myself saying “I want to go there.”

So, help us out! Leave a comment with your favorite relaxing vacation spot (+ hotel if you’ve got the name handy) for a chance to win Overnight Sensations: The Americas.

Cheers,
Hannah deBree
Entertainment Marketing Manager

Overnight Sensations: The Americas

Overnight Sensations: Europe, the Middle East, Africa

Overnight Sensations: Asia Pacific

Latest posts by Hannah deBree (see all)

Contact us

• Kristen M. March 23, 2010 at 11:51 am

What a beautiful series! I have to go with Half Moon Bay, CA and the Ritz Carlton there and also the Monterey Plaza Hotel in Monterey, CA. The ocean views are wonderful in both and I love watching the otters with the binoculars they give you at the Plaza! They aren’t the warmest destinations but they are close and really feel like getaways.

• Christopher March 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I really love to stay in any of the Personality Hotels when in SF since they are reasonable, fun and great locations. I really love The Nines in Portland, OR though.

• Jeff Fisher LogoMotives March 23, 2010 at 2:33 pm

The books look absolutely beautiful. I just returned from a wonderful annual two-week vacation to the island of St. Croix. My partner and I, and our travel companions have relaxing down to an art. I love traveling to exotic and unusual locations around the the world. However, my favorite – and most relaxing – vacation is an annual summer gold-mining trip to the Wallowa Mountains in northeastern Oregon with 8-10 friends. No fancy hotel. My partner and I stay in our 1984 Dodge camping van along the beautiful Eagle Creek. No cell phone or Blackberry signal. Camping with a bunch of foodies, the meals and French/Italian wines are incredible. Lots of walking in the woods, reading and napping. Each evening we go up to the top of a nearby mountain and, with the wind blowing through the trees, watch the sun setting in the west.

• Lisa March 23, 2010 at 2:37 pm

i love calistoga and either Indian Springs for their geothermal pool http://www.indianspringscalistoga.com/ or the solage hotel http://www.solagecalistoga.com/ with yummy restaurant, mud baths, and the cutest eco-friendly modern cottages. each cottage gets its own cruiser bike for riding around calistoga.

• eug March 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Ketchikan, Alaska. You can walk about looking at sights, or just chill at a B & B, feeling like an extra in Northern Exposure.

• Erica March 23, 2010 at 2:59 pm

My favorite relaxing vacation spot is Kaanapali, on Maui. 🙂

• Janine March 23, 2010 at 2:59 pm

For in California, I’m partial to the southern locations:

San Diego – Because you don’t want to miss Balboa Park. It’s full of museums (too many to do in one day!) and gorgeous botanic gardens. It’s also 1-2 miles from the city center (so you can stay somewhere posh and nightlifey if you want to ) and right on the water. Of course, I’d drive an extra 10-20 minutes and hit the water in La Jolla or Del Mar instead of SD proper.

Long Beach – The second largest city in Los Angeles County, many Angelenos forget it exists. Long Beach is home to the longest beach path (great for biking, rollerblading, strolling), the Queen Mary, and my favorite restaurant (Open Sesame).

Nine hours away? I assume you’re driving, otherwise Florida, New York, and Cancun would all be great choices. 🙂

How about central wine country? Yeah, okay, it’s not beachy, but if you did, say San Luis Obispo, you could see the cute town, do some wineries, and then head to Paso Robles for your beachiness. (Just find CA-1.)

You’re also close to the nicer tourist destinations in Mexico. For instance, Ensanada has Fox Studios… But I’m not sure how much you want to leave the US.

I wouldn’t recommend Northern California for beaches. My parents live in NorCal, and I hated beaches till I moved to SoCal. And, clearly, Arizona is right out since it has no ocean at all!

Hope that helped you out!

• Kristi March 23, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I’ve been enjoying the beach at Carmel, California since I was a little girl. I always stop for artichoke hearts on the way, too.

• Susan March 24, 2010 at 5:18 am

Love the title of the series!

In the Bay Area, my favorite luxury experience is to be a guest at a friend’s very rustic cottage in Inverness.

I’ve traveled lots, and stayed in many luxury hotels. But frankly, after a while they all look and feel very much the same. Sadly because they copy each other.

This great series should help in sorting them out.

Luxury means different things to different people. If luxury means simple, this might appeal – http://www.mainedigs.com/

• Katelin March 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm

La Guriniere Bed and Breakfast just outside of Paris is one of the most relaxing, beautiful places I have ever stayed. Run by the sweetest couple, La Guriniere is close to the Metro, but nestled in a vibrant Parisian community. This is where my husband proposed to me. The inn keepers, Jean-Paul and Micheline, celebrated with us as if we were family.

Sometimes luxury is in the details. Fresh made chocolate croissants every morning, hand snipped flowers in the bathroom, and a simple kir in the garden with new friends.

• Amy Fabulous March 25, 2010 at 9:21 am

Ultimate relaxing vacation destination, one word, MALDIVES!

Ok, I admit I’ve never been, but I have visited often in my daydreams. From the research gathered and hearing the experiences of friends who have visited, Maldives is the epitome of beauty and beaching at its finest. Due to the rising ocean level, it is said that in a decade from now, the Maldives will no longer exist, making it even more of a must see.

Here are some photos of the beaches and resorts that will take your breath away…

• Hannah March 26, 2010 at 11:58 am

Thanks for all the great suggestions! We are still trying to figure out where we’ll be heading, but will be thinking about all of these spots when making a decision.

I randomly picked one commenter from the mix to win a copy of Overnight Sensations: The Americas. And the winner is JANINE!

• jennifer young April 9, 2010 at 5:26 pm

i loooove the ace hotel in palm springs!!!
    j.