DIY, Home

Chronicle Craft: Treasured Notions

craftblogicon.jpg

One of our favorite authors teamed up with one of our favorite crafting destinations, and created the brand-new Treasured Notions. We just love this video that Kaari and John created to tell the story of how French General and Tinsel Trading came together to unveil the vintage treasures in the basement of the store. The book turned out to be a little treasure itself, packed with photos and projects inspired by the ancient loot.

What’s your favorite place to go for crafting inspiration? Let us know in the comments and we’ll randomly pick one person who will receive a copy of the book.

Check out more Chronicle Craft posts.

Christina Loff
Craft Publicist

• Kelly March 25, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I love to go to antique stores natural history museums for inspiration. It is wonderful to see how people were creative fashioning and decorating their everyday objects.

• Janel March 25, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I love exploring bead stores to find all kinds of treasures. Beads – they aren’t just for jewelry!

I also think that looking at other artists’ work, like at co-ops, is very inspiring.

• Blythe March 25, 2010 at 3:47 pm

i love thrift stores for craftyinspiration- it’s kind of therapeutic to go and find something waiting to be upcycled and adored again.

• edina March 25, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Actually, French General is one of my favorite places! Kaari and her store (and her books) are so inspirational. It’s fun to go to French General and browse through all the treasures she has in jars and shelves to get new ideas for projects.

• Michelle Parsneau March 25, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I’m with what was already posted, thrift stores and antique stores. On the other hand, you can never tell when inspiration will strike. I found the coolest embellished table in a coffee shop bathroom. Thank goodness for camera phones that get the details instead of trying to rely on my memory.

• Ashlyn March 25, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I love going to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art for inspiration. Sometimes seeing a old favorite will jump-start my brain if I’m feeling in a creative rut, or a simple color or detail will send my brain racing.

• sandy March 25, 2010 at 5:52 pm

I like to read old books, along the lines of Little Women and the Little House on the Prairie books, and be inspired by how they created so much out of so little. Vintage illustrations are also inspiring and help me get out of the 21st Century go-to-Michaels-and-buy-a-kit thinking.

• JodySS March 26, 2010 at 4:25 am

Without question, the Internet is my favorite source of inspiration. It’s a never-ending visual feast.

• gwen March 26, 2010 at 3:41 pm

So excited to see the book, Kaari’s “French Inspired Jewelry” is what got me started a couple years back…

I love trolling the Alameda Antiques Fair, for both supplies and inspirations.

• Ammie March 26, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I am inspired by collections of books, vintage postcards, letters, journals, fabric swatches, and bookmaking papers. Craft shops/studios and friends’ cozy sewing rooms are my favorite places.

• jennifer young March 31, 2010 at 11:14 pm

i love going in nature for crafting inspiration! polar opposite to that i love the cities–tons of inspiration!

jennifer