Editorial, News

Pitch for Charity

The editor is in! Chronicle Books is proud to announce an all-new event: Pitch for Charity.

Come to our San Francisco office on Wednesday December 8th from 3-5 p.m., pitch your book, and you’ll receive in-person feedback from a Chronicle Books editor. If the project is a match, one day you could be a Chronicle author! A suggested donation of $10 will go to Habitat for Humanity.

Here are the details:
Wednesday, December 8th
3:00–5:00 p.m.
Chronicle Books
680 2nd Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
$10 suggested donation

Here’s how it will work:
You arrive at 3:00 p.m. with your materials. A Chronicle employee will check you in and sign you up for a ten-minute time slot. When it’s your turn, be ready to give your pitch in five minutes or less. The editor will use the remaining five minutes to ask you questions about your project and give you constructive feedback.

The best pitches will include:
• A well-honed and practiced pitch that clearly describes what your project is, who it’s for, and why you’re the person to write/create it
• A cover sheet that includes a concise description of the project
• 10-15 pieces of sample art, if necessary. (Make copies—please don’t bring original art!)
• Sample text—two to three pages at most—that can be read by the editor during your meeting and that you feel is best representative of your work.
• Contact information: phone number and email address.
• A good knowledge of what we publish—check out www.chroniclebooks.com to determine if your project might be a match for us.

For more detailed submission guidelines, go to: www.chroniclebooks.com/submissions
*Please note: Our children’s publishing group will only be reviewing picture books at the event.

Just as with all submissions we receive, your project may not be right for Chronicle, but we are also glad to help suggest other avenues for your work, whether that’s with another publisher, a magazine, a blog, or self-publishing services.

We’re looking forward to meeting you face-to-face, offering immediate feedback—and possibly publishing your book!

Think you’ll attend? Have questions? Talk to us in the comments section below.

• Kerry November 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm

What a fantastic idea! Perhaps the SF event will be so successful you might host another one…in Portland!

• pamela munro November 23, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Wd it B possible to mk a pitch via internet??? Hv gr8 frugal book idea – see my blog @ www .http://www.myfrugallife.com/blog_pamphyila.html

• Tina C November 23, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I will find a way to be there!

• Amanda November 24, 2010 at 1:50 am

I love this idea! I wish you'd do one in Seattle, though I sure might try to get to San Francisco if I can! But, won't such a great opportunity, especially for charity, be very crowded? Will there be enough slots or do we need to register way in advance? I'm very interested to know! :)

• Matt November 24, 2010 at 10:21 am

Hi commenters,

A clarification: We won't have advance registration. This is the first time we're trying this so we're not sure how many people will show up. Please be here at 3pm or maybe a little bit before and, if for some reason you can't get a time slot with an editor, you can certainly leave your proposal with us and we will review it at a later date.

Thanks!

• Doug November 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I have a children's book that is ready to be reviewed by one or more of Chronicles editors and I WILL BE THERE! I will be driving up from the Los Angeles area,if anyone wants to share a ride / exspenses let me know? I have a reliable 2001 Truck and can fit 1 or maybe 2 other riders… Thanks, Doug. Planning to leave around midnight on December 7th That should put me / us there around 7:00 or 8:00 am to get in line?

• Doug November 24, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I want to come to your "Pitch for Charity" event, but I submitted my children's book to Chronicle last July. If I still haven't heard from you by December 7th should I pack my bags and show up? I know it takes 6 months for you too review submissions and I got my conformation postcard on July 15th. I would really hate to miss a chance like this?!

• Joe November 28, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I'm guessing that an event like this will be very crowded with a lot of hopeful authors and charitable people? If I'm right about that, will we be waiting in a long line outside in the cold S.F. climate, or will you have room inside? Also I wanted to ask, from the responses you have gotten so far can you give a personal guess on how many people you think might show up for this? And if an editor really does like someone's work will that person actually be published by Chronicle? Sorry, I'm not testing you it's just that I will be traveling a very long distance for this opportunity and I want too be completely prepared!

• BobsYourUncle November 29, 2010 at 11:44 am

yes, please let us know if you'll ever be doing this via internet- happy to donate per submission online and spread the word! :) http://www.paidtobenice.com

• Matt November 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm

To Joe and others,

This is the first time we've ever held an event like this, so we're unsure how many people will show up. I wouldn't recommend showing up really early in the morning, though. If you'd like to show up a little before 3pm, that would be fine. And we have a bookstore on our ground floor that you can peruse and stay warm in if it's cold that day.

We expect to have about five editors on the floor at one time. Each will review 12 projects in two hours, if we're at capacity. If for some reason you cannot get a time slot, we will be happy to take your proposal and review it after the event. Our response times are listed on the submissions page on our Web site.

Thanks!

• Sierra November 29, 2010 at 2:43 pm

This is a fantastic idea! Thanks for the opportunity.

• Lori Willbanks November 30, 2010 at 10:26 am

Great idea. I plan on attending. I look forward to the critique!

• D. Livingston-Manzo November 30, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Fantastic timing for me as my book is just reaching its final stages of completion.
    Chronicle Books has been at the top of my list of potential publishers since this book began, and to be given this opportunity at this point in time feels almost like kismet.

Here's looking forward to December 8th – this event is a wonderful idea, both for Habitat For Humanity and for authors. A big "thumbs up" to the folks at Chronicle Books – you really had your thinking caps on with this one! See you next week!!

Dawn Livingston-Manzo

• Christina Amini November 30, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Hello potential authors!

Please review our website to see the kinds of books that we publish. For the time being, we do NOT publish adult fiction. Our children’s publishing group will only be reviewing picture books at the event.

For more detailed submission guidelines, go to: http://www.chroniclebooks.com/submissions

see you there!
    Christina Amini
    Executive Editor

• Elizabeth M Thompson December 3, 2010 at 5:50 pm

What a great opportunity! I will be there on Wednesday and I'm bringing three other writers from the Inspire group. We look forward to meeting you all, contributing to Habitat for Humanity and pitching our projects.

• Jennifer Chen December 5, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I want to pitch a young adult novel but I see the note that the children's publishing group will only be reviewing picture books. So to be clear, I wouldn't be allowed to bring a pitch about a young adult novel. I just want to make sure.

Thanks!

• Lindsay Nohl December 5, 2010 at 8:32 pm

My Husband, Chris Hajny, is flying in from Minneapolis to pitch our book!
    We're very excited for the opportunity! Thanks a million for the opportunity! Looking forward to speaking with your editors!

• kimculture December 6, 2010 at 11:02 am

I will definitely be there, too! I hope I can get a slot!

• Amy December 7, 2010 at 9:07 am

For those of us who arrive early, will you be handing out numbers? It sounds like after the first 60 people, you'll turn people away, is that correct? At 3pm, will we then know what time our pitch is slotted for with the editors? Thank you!

• D. Livingston-Manzo December 7, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Wondering the same thing as Amy…

• Matt December 7, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Hi again from Editorial,

Yes, we will be handing out cards with your ten-minute time slot (i.e. 3:00-3:10) printed on them. I want to stress that we will be checking people in a few minutes before 3pm. If you arrive very early you'll still need to wait until 2:45 or so to get checked in.

If we're not able to schedule you in a time slot, you can be an alternate. If someone else drops out or has to leave, alternates can slide in and take their place. If we're still not able to meet with you, you are more than welcome to leave your materials with us for later review.

And I miscounted earlier. We will be able to see up to 72 people across six different genres: Lifestyle, Art + Design, Entertainment, Food & Wine, Stationery, and Children's.

• Kelly December 8, 2010 at 9:31 am

Will the police be present? A lot of these posts sound insane. People, please note, if your book is good, you can get an agent. No need to drive across country and camp out on the street in the rain.

• Liz December 9, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Thanks, Chronicle! What a great idea and great event.

• Kevin Morrison December 11, 2010 at 2:35 pm

This was a lovely idea and a terrific event. Thanks! Will you post about its success?