Food + Drink

From the Chronicle Kitchen
Caramelized garlic tart

This week I’m delighted to be featuring guest blogger Yotam Ottolenghi and Plenty, a cookbook that has in the truest sense become an “instant classic”. Yotam oversees the food at Ottolenghi’s four London to-go food shops/restaurants that are renown for their bold, innovative, and largely Mediterranean basin-inspired cuisine.

Chronicle has just released the North American edition of Plenty, which came out in the UK in Fall 2010 to much acclaim for its unique approach to vegetable-based cooking. You may have seen Yotam about a week ago making this week’s recipe with none other than Martha Stewart .

Have you been lucky enough to have traveled to and eaten at one of Ottolenghi’s establishments in London (like yours truly) in recent years?

What did you think?
Are you cooking more vegetable-based meals, and if so, what are your favorite seasonal go-to veggies? Leave a comment and you’ll be eligible to win an autographed copy of Plenty that I’ll be giving away to a random lucky person!

Cheers,

Peter

———–

Caramelized garlic tart

This is probably the recipe that won me the most points with my readers. For some reason, it is the first dish people try out from the book and they are always keen on telling me all about it. I admit, it involves a bit of work, but the result is quite magical. The way the garlic’s harshness transforms to a mellow sweetness, with just a hint of the original aroma, is one of the most marvelous of kitchen moments.

“I think this is the most delicious recipe in the world!” wrote Claudine after trying it out for me. What else can I add?

Serves 8

13 oz puff pastry
3 medium heads of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup water
¾ tbsp sugar
1 tsp chopped rosemary
1 tsp chopped thyme, plus a few whole sprigs to finish
salt
4½ oz soft, creamy goat cheese (such as chèvre)
4½ oz hard, mature goat cheese (such as goat gouda)
2 eggs
6½ tbsp heavy cream
6½ tbsp crème fraîche
black pepper

Have ready a shallow, loose-bottomed, 11-inch fluted tart pan. Roll out the puff pastry into a circle that will line the bottom and sides of the pan, plus a little extra. Line the pan with the pastry. Place a large circle of waxed paper on the bottom and fill up with pie weights or dried beans. Leave to rest in the fridge for about 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the tart shell in the oven and blind bake for 20 minutes. Remove the weights and paper, then bake for 5 to 10 minutes more, or until the pastry is golden. Set aside. Leave the oven on.

While the tart shell is baking, make the caramelized garlic. Put the cloves in a small saucepan and cover with plenty of water. Bring to a simmer and blanch for 3 minutes, then drain well. Dry the saucepan, return the cloves to it and add the olive oil. Fry the garlic cloves on high heat for 2 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and water and bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add the sugar, rosemary, chopped thyme and ¼ teaspoon salt. Continue simmering on a medium flame for 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated and the garlic cloves are coated in a dark caramel syrup. Set aside.

To assemble the tart, break both types of goat cheese into pieces and scatter in the tart shell. Spoon the garlic cloves and syrup evenly over the cheese. In a jug whisk together the eggs, cream, crème fraîche, ½ teaspoon salt and some black pepper. Pour this custard over the tart filling to fill the gaps, making sure that you can still see the garlic and cheese over the surface.

Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F and place the tart inside. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the tart filling has set and the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool a little. Then take out of pan, trim the pastry edge if needed, lay a few sprigs of thyme on top and serve warm (it reheats well!) with a crisp salad.

Purchase Plenty.

Yotam Ottolenghi

Yotam Ottolenghi is co-owner of four Ottolenghi restaurants, co-author of Ottolenghi: The Cookbook and author of the weekly New Vegetarian column in the Guardian newspaper. He lives in London.

Latest posts by Yotam Ottolenghi (see all)

Contact us

• Christina April 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Oh thank you for sharing this recipe! I must make it, looks amazing!

• windella April 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Stunning tart!

• Janel April 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I can't wait for asparagus to appear in the farmer's market. There's nothing like roasted asparagus! It's so nice to see vegetables reappearing in the spring to add to my meals.

• littleislandstu April 13, 2011 at 3:31 pm

hate to be boring but, ohhh organic carrots!! The books looks fabulous!

• Paul April 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Looks fantastic indeed1 Look forward to perusing the book.

• tati April 13, 2011 at 4:40 pm

This sounds SO good but I'd be the only one in the house who would eat it. I love goat cheese, and I love garlic cooked in this way–sooooo yummy.

• Hannah April 13, 2011 at 5:05 pm

This is my favorite cookbook right now. I've made the Surprise Tatin, the Sweet Potato Wedges with Lemongrass Creme Fraiche, and a version of the spring pasta with zucchini and edamame. Delish!!

• Elisabeth April 13, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Yes, I go to the Islington Ottolenghi every time I'm in London…sometimes more than once!

• jdbknyc April 13, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I've never eaten at Ottolenghi's, but a neighbor lent me his UK edition of Plenty several weeks ago and I can't get enough of it — I have yet to give it back! Was just wondering if & when it would ever come out in the US so I can get myself a copy, and — here it is! SO glad! I'm learning how to cook right now and, as a person who eats a vegetable-centered diet, I can't wait to cook my way through this book.

• Marc April 13, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I went for lunch this past February. It was amazing! I couldn't decide what to get so the three of us got the mixed salad plates and had a little of everything. I would go back in an instant! We did manage to resist the giant pink merengue in the incredible display of desserts!

• Cupboard Love April 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Since I went paleo/primal, I've been eating tons of new vegetables and I've been looking for new ways to fix them. This tart looks delicious – I might have to make it for the family and sneak a piece for me.

• Sara Habein April 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm

That tart looks fantastic. I use garlic in just about everything I make.

• pjstephen April 13, 2011 at 10:50 pm

While we're still happy eaters of all things animal in our household, home cooked legumes and leafy greens, particularly kale and Chinese broccoli, have definitely dominated the plates this year. Thanks for the recipe, an exciting alternative to an onion tart my wife's been making lately.

• Laila April 14, 2011 at 12:16 am

You can't beat fresh peas straight from the garden. I love them in lots of things but my all time favourite is pea pate. Steam or blanch some peas and place in food processor. Add garlic and extra virgin olive oil and season and blend. Absolutely yummy with crusty bread! So simple yet full of flavour.

• Matt April 14, 2011 at 12:52 am

Sadly I am not cooking more vegetable based meals, but winning this book would surely change that. All I have heard about it is amazing things.

• shar April 14, 2011 at 4:41 am

this looks so amazing, seriously! we love garlic, fresh herbs, carrots, broccoli, I love cauliflower but can't get the fam to like it

• bernalgirl April 14, 2011 at 11:58 am

Tart looks delicious! Looking forward to checking out this Chronicle Books release!

• jennifer April 17, 2011 at 10:13 pm

can i win this? this looks fantastic!!
    j.

• Cat April 27, 2011 at 10:45 am

Garlic lovers everywhere, such as myself, would stop in their tracks over this recipe. Looks amazing and the book has so much goodness to offer. Definitely adding it to my wish list!

• @wirechairs April 27, 2011 at 2:39 pm

CONGRATS to Sara – you won the giveaway copy of "Plenty"! + hopefully you've checked out the amazing piece on Yotam in today's NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/dining/27otto.h
    Thanks for all your posts, and happy vegetable cooking,
    Peter