Guest Authors, Kids

What’s Your Bedtime Ritual?

We’re excited to have Sara from Tea Collection guest posting on our blog today. Tea Collection is an online children’s clothing boutique that embodies the spirit of adventure and world culture.

Just like skipping breakfast, the absence of a bedtime ritual can make evenings unpleasant and meager. Countless studies uphold the benefits of bedtime rituals including lowered stress levels, longer more restful sleep, and happier kids. Including books into the bedtime ritual not only adds to the fun and adventure, but has shown to increase a child’s reading levels, language skills, and even increase their chances of attending college. At Tea, we polled our staff about the bedtime rituals they cherish. Read their answers below:

“I had trouble sleeping as a kid after my parents moved and I had to transfer schools. In order to fall asleep I started reading before bed. Since then, I’ve been an avid reader and a sound sleeper!” – Lisa, Brand & Marketing

“Every evening before bed my mom would sit on the corner of my bed and read me poetry from famous worldly poets. Now, nearly 20 years later, I still love repeating certain stanzas to myself before I fall asleep.” – Katie, HR & Finance

“My favorite bedtime book was Goodnight Moon. Even though my parents read it to me hundreds of times, they always made the moment special with fun voices and expressions.” – Michelle, Marketing

“When my nephews were younger, I would tuck them into bed and say, ‘now you’re snug as a bug in a rug. I loved having this nightly ritual with them. We’re so close that they still call me weekly even though they’re in college.” – Margaret, Planning & Operations

“After a long day at work, I enjoy being able to unwind with my boys by taking part in a simple bedtime routine: bath time, brush teeth, and a book. It’s the perfect way for me to end my day as well.” – Jeff, Marketing

Bedtime rituals may vary from each household, but they all center one important aspect: quality time. What’s your bedtime ritual? Share the answer below for a chance to win a pair of Tea Collection pajamas and two bedtime books from Chronicle: Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site and Twelve Dancing Princesses.

To learn more about Tea Collection, visit teacollection.com. Get a 15% discount off any order $50 or more by using the code CHRONICLE15. This offer expires 12/16/2011. To get a behind the scene look at Tea, visit their blog or Facebook page.

Subscribe to our monthly Chronicle Kids Newsletter.

• Kathy November 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Our bedtime ritual is fairly simple to begin with: brush teeth and go potty, read some books, say prayers, get tucked in. My 2 year old has a fairly specific tucking regime involving the order of blankets and the proper sides that his “guys” (stuffed animals) need to be tucked on, then it’s a big kiss, a huge kiss, a tiny kiss and lights out!

• Betsy November 25, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Our nightly ritual conisits of reading lots of books before getting tucked in and not a lot of tv.

• kristenmarie711 November 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I wrote a children's book, Bedtime is Fun, that helps with our bedtime routine and shows children that bedtime can be fun! It has worked great! :)

• rebecca November 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm

every night I tell my daughter an "ogre story" (by her request) before she falls asleep, it's also helping my storytelling skills as I have refined dozens of stories involving ogres.

• Betsy November 27, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Bedtime has been a lot easier since we got rid of our TV. We read books the kids get tucked in and the night light stays on for our youngest.

• Kris November 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

I am usally running home from work a couple nights a week to tuck my son into bed. We have been reading Harry Potter so there is always a couple of chapters read at bedtime.

• Iris November 28, 2011 at 4:00 pm

three stories and a song… books may chance but the song rarely varies… :))

• Janine L. November 28, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Fondest memories of my children's childhood involves those quiet bedtime moments reading our favorite storybooks, and discovering new ones. This is a tradition I've continued with my young grand-daughters.

• Homa November 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm

We say the “five little pumpkins” poem and turn off the light at “…along came the wind and out went the light, and five little pumpkins rolled out of sight.” It makes turning the light off a happy occasion for the kids.

• Penny November 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm

We have BBB: Bath, Bottle and Book. Of course as they have out-grown the bottle, now a cup of milk, but we still refer to it as BBB:-)

• Pam November 28, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Books, books and more books. And singing "Baa Baa Black sheep about 43 times while rubbing my littlest one's back until he falls asleep. Goodnight goodnight Construction Site is on my (um, his) wishlist for Christmas….fingers crossed.

• Adam November 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Book or two, bath or shower, lotion and jammies, lights out, a little snuggle time, and into bed.

• Julia Boyce November 28, 2011 at 5:15 pm

As a preschool teacher, rituals are something that I am always encouraging. My kids have always had the same ritual from when they were first born. We wash the four "fs" (face, feet, fingers and fanny), brush our teeth, and then pile into one bed for stories. I will never get tired of it, and always encourage the parents of my preschoolers to end their day with a story or five as well.

• debbie m November 28, 2011 at 5:33 pm

our bedtime ritual is to have a small snack and milk in my boy’s room while we listen to our Cuddletunes and read books. Then we brush teeth, give hugs and kisses and go to sleep!

• Sara November 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm

a bedtime story, some chit chat, a glass of water, then bed!

• Jill Dalton November 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I read a story to my two year old each night before bed. Before the story he lines up the stuffed animals he sleeps with, this way they can hear the story too. Then after reading he tucks in each stuffed animal before I tuck him in. He also likes to hold the book until he falls asleep.

• aahaft November 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm

my kids like to play in the tub for an hour, have a lotion rubdown and 3 books in bed before prayers, tuck ins and lights out

• Mary November 28, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Bath, jammies, book, snuggles, book, tickles, another book, snuggles, book, lights out snuggles, sleep.

• Alicia November 28, 2011 at 5:41 pm

As of right now we do pj's and brush teeth and prayers and then I go nurse the baby while big brother (6) reads bedtime stories to big sister (3) or they listen to audiobooks. After the baby is asleep, I come in and we read together or I kiss the sleeping kids. Most nights they are both asleep cuddled together in big brothers bed :)

• angela m November 28, 2011 at 5:45 pm

My kids bedtime ritual is brush teeth, wash face and hands ,put on pajamas and 3 bedtime stories..
    I have been reading to my oldest since she was born and now she is finally old enough to read to me..

• anna pry November 28, 2011 at 5:45 pm

After nursing my 3 month old daughter before bed, she gets all sleepy-smiley and starts babbling away with a big grin on her face. So we lay together with the lights dimmed and she 'talks' to me until she falls asleep.
    thepryfamily@gmail.com

• Brandi November 28, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Our bedtime ritual now is to get dressed for bed, go potty, brush our teeth, then sit in the rocker and read a book. After the story, we tuck in and turn on our jungle soother.

• Lynda T November 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm

My little guy always tells me "Love you with all my heart", then I say the same to him…then he says, "Don't let the bedbugs bite" & I repeat the same back to him. Then he blows me a kiss, and I blow one back to him. Lastly, I give him a big kiss on the cheek! He is the sweetest fellow I know! <3

• Louise November 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Stories and songs! First we brush teeth, because with a dentist for an uncle and a dental hygienist for an aunt we are very conscious of tooth health. Then it's into jammies and up the stairs for a story by Papa, and then a song (or two) with Papa. Hugs and kisses all around, a final prayer, and lights out.

• Raina November 28, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Bed time at our house is always: Potty, jammies, teeth, books (usually three), lights out, kids laughing and jumping on bed (me not laughing or jumping), get a drink, go potty (again), back in bed, kids giggling (me not giggling), me , "shhhh" rubbing feet/ legs/backs/ whatever works. Sleep.

• Chrissy P November 28, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Just before laying her down for her nap, I always sing You Are My Sunshine to my daughter. My husband finishes the bedtime routine with Goodnight Moon each night.

• Farrah November 28, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Ours is kind of a challenge as the twins are 1 and sleep in one room and my toddler is 2 and has his own. I long for the days when they can all pile into one bed and listen to a story. Maybe we will take turns on whose bed? Anyhow, for now with my oldest it is trains in his room, then I read 2 short stories, and finish with Goodnight Moon (he always says 'Cow jumpump do moon) and turn out the light. We sing our ABC's and I kiss him goodnight. Nights it's dragging on I tell myself this is such a sort and sweet time, so cherish it- don't wish it would hurry up no matter what I have to do.

• Tina M November 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Tubby, pjs, books, lots of kisses & hugs, my 2 1/2 yo says I love you most mommy! (my heart melts) and then I nurse her to sleep <3

• annie November 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm

We always read a story or two (lately my 6-year-old has been reading the book to me!), tuck in, and sing a lullabye (usually "soft kitty"). It's a nice routine that lets a calm settle over the day and makes everything sweet and safe.

• lillian November 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm

teeth, potty, and bath followed by getting into pjs, climbing into bed, cuddling, and reading a couple of books (at least two, but sometimes as many as four or five). we are still in the picture book phase, which I love, but I also look forward to the chapter book stage.

• Molly Martin November 28, 2011 at 5:57 pm

When I was a girl, we had one bedtime ritual of “hitting the sack” my dad would get us all tucked in like burrito and then bring a paper sack to each of us to hit. And always, in the morning we would find mints on our pillows to help us wake up.

• JDD November 28, 2011 at 5:58 pm

the best part of bedtime at our house- "Run 'round nakie!!" It's the best way to dry off after a bath!

• Jessica November 28, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Our night time routine goes like this: bathtime with mommy (me), then daddy helps brush her teeth and pick out pjs while mommy straightens up her room a little, we read 2-3 books as a family (dogs included), turn off the main light and turn on the night light, sing a song and then go to sleep with the help of her aquarium.

• Inbal Clausen November 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm

First we read books! Then just before we leave the room we all say our 3 favorite parts of the day. First Mommy, then Daddy, then it's Jorden's turn :) He loves this ritual! It's a great way to share some fun things we did with Daddy since he's at work all day and misses out on our fun!

• jackie November 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm

pjs all around, and then my son picks out a few books while i put his baby brother to bed. he has some milk while we snuggle on the couch to read them. then teeth and bed, where we always cuddle for a few minutes and he tells me stories. last, there are always 3 hugs and 3 kisses before i go, and he gets tucked in like a burrito. :-)

• Wendy November 28, 2011 at 6:05 pm

After bath, if she takes one, we brush and floss teeth. Then my daughter gets to pick out four books. We have recently added chapter books to the mix (she just turned 4). So the books range from board books to paperbacks to chapter books. I could go bonkers re-reading Pinkalicious and Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse and any assortment of of Max and Ruby. But I think it is important for her to be in charge of picking the books. It gives her a sense of control.
    After the books have been read, we snuggle, kiss and hug. And hopefully, she goes to bed.

• Alyson November 28, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Dinner, brush teeth, use toilet, bath, pajamas, use toilet, story, bed. :)

• Tara November 28, 2011 at 6:07 pm

We read books and then sing songs. She gets a book and a song for every year old she is. So this year she gets 3 books and 3 songs!

• Logan November 28, 2011 at 6:08 pm

We start off with some warm milk, a little Nina and star on the sprout channel and a few books!!

• Michelle November 28, 2011 at 6:08 pm

have to start with a nice warm bath. Brush teeth. Read our favorite books. Sing our favorite songs and, for the big kids share the best part of our day.

• Nicole Herfel November 28, 2011 at 6:10 pm

My kids came up with special kisses for me and my husband at bedtime. I get one on each cheek, my forehead, and my nose. He gets his on his eyelids, ears, and chin. It’s something special that we will cherish and remember always.

• Diana C November 28, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Our ritual here is a bath, baby massage, get her pajamas on, breastfeed while i read to her bedtime stories.. sure she is too small still to understand them but she still likes it and that's all that matters. :D

• Stephanie V. November 28, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Bath, warm chocolate milk, brush teeth, floss teeth, story, hugs and kisses and I love you, sweet dreams

• Kellie O November 28, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Our bedtime ritual is bath, brush teeth and read Good Night Moon and say our prayers.

• Nanci Fitzgerald November 28, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Bath, books, and bed in our house! Our favorite part is the books, that’s when we get our best snuggling in! 4 books on the rocker….then tucked in and “see you when the sun pops up!”

• Carmen Van Deursen November 28, 2011 at 6:19 pm

My son loves to be read to before he’s tucked into bed. The more books the better. He usually falls asleep before he gets to read all the books he picked out. We love this time of cuddle and bonding with each other.

• Jessica Ross November 28, 2011 at 6:21 pm

After they’re all tucked, I sit at the top of the stairs between my 4 year old son and 6 year old daughter’s rooms and we play a game we call “I love you more”. I always start with “I love you more than rainbows” and they each respond with something they love me more than. From popcorn to toothbrushes to unicorns, I’ve heard it all! It’s a great way to end the day…even if the giggles get a little out if control sometimes.

• Michelle @litlearningzone November 28, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Our bedtime ritual is double the fun with our two little princesses! PJ's on, read some books, snuggle and prayers, brush teeth, then climb up the stairs to bed saying "good night" to all that we see! Goodnight lights! Goodnight tree! Goodnight kitty! We would love to add these books to our collection of goodnight reads!

• Jo Lindblad November 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Pjs, brush teeth, wash faces, read a good book, each mention 5 things we are thankful for from our day, and pray then give big hugs.

• Melissa T. November 28, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Our ritual is based on the very few songs I actually know the words to. We all say prayers together then my 4 year-old tucks the 2 year-old in bed. The 2 year-old sings his version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Then he requests I sing my version of Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors". My 4 year-old sings "Tomorrow" with original choreography. Then we all sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, little star." Then lights out, stars on, and eyes shut!

• Suzanne November 28, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Bedtime is often our favorite time of day. Baths, brush teeth, and get into pjs. We read to our 3-year old (his favs right now are Mo Willems) and then read a chapter to our 8-year old (we just finished Harry Potter). Then she reads a chapter to us (usually Junie B Jones). I love cuddling in their beds with them while we read-no matter how busy the day was. We try to keep this ritual even when we travel.

• Anna Fickle November 28, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Every night my hubs reads from a chapter book (currently Ivy & Bean) to Ava, our 8yr old and I read to Lilith, our 4yr old- her favorites are Little Hoot, Little Pea and Little Oink (we love Chronicle Books!) then we swap and tuck in with hugs and kisses!

• kerry g November 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Our bedtime ritual is probably my favorite time of the day! My 2 year old gets her bath, then her dad brushes her hair and gets her PJ’s on while I put down her newborn brother, then she and I crawl in my bed with a stack of books and read them one by one, then I turn out the light and tell her a made-up story that she helps me create (a story which ALWAYS includes a green unicorn…). After she falls asleep while I tell the last story, I carry her to her bed for the night. I love that quiet, creative, quality time we get each night!

• Laura November 28, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Love to read to my 2 darlings before bed. Bath, teeth, books, a Hebrew song and then snuggles. It takes forever some nights but is very sweet!

• Mary Lou heitman November 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Bathtime, teeth brushed,(sing brush your teeth song), 3 or 4 books, 3or4 songs, hugs and kisses and a little snuggle time

• Christa November 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Reading two books cuddled up on the couch under blankets then sing songs in bed

• Emily Hamilton November 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm

We do playtime after supper, bath, lotion, Jammie’s and songs, brush teeth, books in bed, nurse, and sleep (hopefully). ; )

• Emmett Kimbler November 28, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Our favorite bedtime ritual is reading books, especially ones about trucks, and then singing songs together.

• Stephanie November 28, 2011 at 7:29 pm

My favorite night time ritual with the boys is "Prayer and a Light Showwwww!" When their daddy has to go out of town for work; my two boys (ages 2 1/2 and 5) snuggle in bed with me. We start off with our bedtime prayer and then we turn off all the lights and I use a Toy Story themed flashlight to make Woody or Jesse dance on the ceiling and walls all the while singing Randy Newman's "You Gotta Friend in Me" and sometimes I sing "Happy Trails" as the finale.

• Bad Mommie November 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm

bedtime routine. What bedtime routine?

• simone November 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Its been hard to establish a bedtime ritual for my 3 year old since I work nights, but we (my husband, parents, and I) have finally gotten one down. We get into bed and read 2 stories. Then he is allowed to read one more story on his own. Seems to finally be working!

• Sarah Hirsch November 28, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I sing a few songs, tuck each child in, kiss and hug goodnight, and then they're off to dreamland!

• Steva November 28, 2011 at 8:05 pm

We play musical bunk beds,

• Lacey Lund November 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm

We start with a bath, then my daughter reads her school books to us. Then we brush teeth and snuggle into bed. Each one of my kiddos gets to pick a book for us to read. Then it’s more snuggles, and some Eskimo and butterfly kisses! Lights out and “Good night,sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite!”

• Jacquie November 28, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Well I’m not going to lie, I’m just going to be honest. Bedtime with 2 young children is something I do not look forward to. It must be amazing to have a ritual that would actually work. I would be ecstatic if I could get my children in the bath, pjs on and teeth brushed without having to ask more than once. I loose count of how many times I have to say brush your teeth, get your pajamas on. We always read once we are in bed. But once I leave the room, there go the feet across the floor, bed hopping, from theirs to mine. I hear laughing , banging, jumping….is there anyone else out there that dreads bedtime?

• NiceMatters November 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Bath, book (often plural), prayer, goodnight hugs and kisses.

• Francisca Radovich November 28, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Bath, brush teeth, snuggling during story time about 2-3 stories each night, bedtime prayers… then final hugs, kisses, and tucking the kids in.

• Julie C. November 28, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Our bedtime ritual is potty, brush teeth, and read a couple bedtime stories. Then it's a big hug and kiss and lights out.

• kelly clements November 28, 2011 at 8:55 pm

bathtime, a book, a prayer, and lots of kisses :)

• Kim November 28, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Tubby and brushing teeth with papa, lotion with mama, playtime for 15 minutes, books with mama and papa, picking out a toy to sleep with, followed by lights out and each kid with a tyke light (and another hour of getting up, going back to bed, getting up, going back to bed, and a trip to the potty at least once somewhere in there).

• Laura November 28, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Bedtime ritual is warm bubble bath, singing songs with dancing involved, snack, brush teeth, prayer, read one book, tuck in and to follow with a tickle and big kiss!

• Laurin November 28, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Our bedtime routine with our 3 year old daughter, Sophie is always very special. She gets her “bubble bath” which is also mixed with a little bath toy playtime. She gets her fresh pjs and teeth brushed and flossed and hair dried. We then read a few books and she snuggles into bed and asks us to rub her head. From there she likes her chapstick and California Baby aromatherapy spray. Lots to do every night.

• wendypeds November 28, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Bath time, massage, pajamas, then a book in their room with the glow stars once the lights are off.

• Beth November 28, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Following all of the obligatory rituals, my son and I read books. Then he asks if I will lie down with him while we listen to Kiko by Los Lobos, as we have done since he was an infant. Following this, it’s time for a kiss, then nose kiss, eye kiss, otro (Spanglish) eye kiss, forehead kiss, cheek kiss, and chin kiss. He is now 5 and I cherish this special time together.

• Bernadette Flemming November 28, 2011 at 9:55 pm

3 books, 2 songs, 1 prayer & tons of snuggling!

• Freda Y November 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Our nightly ritual is brushing teeth, washing face, reading a story, saying our prayers and me singing a sweet lullaby to my two year old.

• Chris November 28, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Bath, snuggly pajamas, and reading books by the Christmas tree. Then off to bed looking at the stars on the ceiling.

• Erin Yun November 28, 2011 at 11:39 pm

bath, teeth, (sometimes running to daddy to say goodnight before the diaper and PJ go on!!!), PJs, good night to daddy, books, lights off, talking about our day, snuggling into bed with all his 'friends'

• Lisa Di Lorenzo November 29, 2011 at 12:57 am

Our baby boy is only six months. Our ritual now is to spend lots of time the three of us together in the evenings. Then a bath together, or if it’s not a bath night then instead the three of us lie in bed and have some giggle time, playing sweet little games like we’ll have him lying in thr middle and we’ll make a tent with a bedsheet and his daddy and I put on a puppet show with our hands. Good times, lots of sound effects and giggling together. Then stories (Hungry Caterpillar and Goodnight Moon). Then rocking. Then nursing to sleep.

• mechele johnson November 29, 2011 at 1:49 am

Our ritual is, brush teeth, tickle feet, rub tummy, read a story, then say "Sweet Dreams", and voila!!
    mmjohnson555@gmail.com

• sarah November 29, 2011 at 5:18 am

We begin our routine by brushing our teeth to Raffi's Brush your teeth song, and some time baby beluga as well. We then get into our pajamas and give everyone a hug and kiss goodnight. Lastly read a book and it is off to bed.

• boys tops November 29, 2011 at 6:41 am

Bedtime ritual is the thing that we commonly do before we fall sleep. My bedtime ritual is washing my face, brush my teeth, read bedtime stories for my two kids and say a little prayer.

• Cheri November 29, 2011 at 7:13 am

We do story, prayers, and then cuddle time. Cuddle time is my favorite–I hear more about my kids' days during that brief period than any other time during the day!

• helenlam November 29, 2011 at 7:55 am

I loved how mom would come in after I was in bed and wordlessly and gently tuck me in under the covers!

• Dara November 29, 2011 at 8:29 am

Glass of milk, reading books in mom and dad's bed, lots of hugs, kisses, i love you's, then falling asleep to Laurie Berkner songs!

• Rachel November 29, 2011 at 8:47 am

At the end of the day we all get ready for bed. Jammies on, teeth brushed, water by the bedside table… then together we read. We started reading the classics. Tom Sawyer was a wonderful read for both my kids. Ages 8 and 5. Injun Joe gave us a scare!! After we read, we talk a bit then off to bed. My older child gets to stay up a little bit longer to silently read to herself from a book of her own personal interest (nothing that mom picked out!). I get to snuggle up with a good read too!! Quiet time at last!

• Cyndi W November 29, 2011 at 9:04 am

We do – bath, prayers, 2 or 3 stories (depending on their length!) and kisses on their eyes so that they have sweet dreams. Then I say the same thing every night – "Goodnight, sweet dreams, I love you too much, see you when the sun shines".

• Joey Anderson November 29, 2011 at 9:14 am

First we pretend we’re hungry bears and then look for fish in the bath (which of course we pretend us a bear pond). Then jammies, toothbrush, nummies (probiotics), a few books and then lots of hugs and kisses;)

• Kim November 29, 2011 at 9:36 am

Usually a warm bath, then get in bed, read some books and tell stories about our day.

• brooke t November 29, 2011 at 9:44 am

with an 18 month old it is brush teeth, change clothes, read a book with daddy and then fall asleep in my arms rocking.

• Angela November 29, 2011 at 11:46 am

After the potty breaks, I say, "Booga booga" to quickly get my 3 and 5yo girls into bed and under the covers. While listening to Beethoven's Pathetique, 2nd Movement and a lullaby waltz, they have a little tickle session, whereafter I say, "Buenas noches. Bonne nuit. Fait de beaux reves. D'ors bien, le bebe. Good night. I love you"

• Erica G November 29, 2011 at 11:51 am

Our bedtime ritual goes something like this: Give both my toddlers a bath, a race to see who gets their pj's on first, brush our hair during ABC's, brush our teeth, read a book or two, hugs and kisses, tuck them in bed while saying prayers, then one last kiss on their foreheads!

• Valerie November 29, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Our bedtime ritual with our two sets of twins is a little different…with our 9 year old boys, it used to be a bedtime story, then kisses, hugs and lullabies – now it's independent reading, kisses, hugs and a round of 20 questions :)

With our 2 year old boy & girl twins, daddy & I double-team. First, one of us gives them a bath, while the other prepares the 'pajaminator station' (which consists of a soft blanket & pillows, fresh pjs & undershirts, diapers, powder & lotion) in front of the fireplace, where they come after their bath. Then they get a nice rub-down with lotion, diapered, powdered and snugged into fresh pajamas. I know they really are comforted with this ritual, which we've done with them since birth – having both mommy & daddy there lavishing attention on just them, making them feel safe & loved is the perfect primer for a peaceful sleep. After being 'pajaminated', it's story time…and then, ONLY after Xs and Os from each family member, and deciding which of their babies to snuggle with, they are tucked in warm & cozy in their little beds for a night of sweet dreams.

• jenn h November 29, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Bubble Bath and stories. Our wee ones look forward to both of these everynight. My husband usually does bathtime while I clean up dinner then we do stories together. It's so relaxing and sweet for al of us!

• Stephanie November 30, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Congratulations Laurin! You're the winner of our Tea Collection and Chronicle Books Bedtime Rituals Giveaway!