Looking Back at 2012
Forgive us a little horn-tooting to ring in the new year, but this has been a big year at Chronicle, filled with some impressive achievements, remarkable accomplishments, and happy milestones. This week, we have seven books simultaneously on the New York Times bestseller list, which is a first in company history and cause for celebration in itself. As we wrap up our projects and get ready for the holiday break, we look back at our Top 12 Chronicle Books moments of 2012.
1. The newest Chronicle Books store opens at the Metreon in downtown San Francisco. If you’re in town, pay us a visit at 165 Fourth Street.
2. Over 100 employees join together to clean up the San Francisco Zoo for our 5th annual Volunteer Day.
3. Galison Mudpuppy is acquired by the McEvoy Group to become the newest member of the Chronicle Books family.
4. The Chronicle Books Comic-Con Booth becomes a hot celebrity destination, with visits from Kristian Nairn, who plays Hodor on HBO’s Game of Thrones (left) and Janina Gavankar, who plays Luna on True Blood (right).
5. Ruhlman’s Twenty wins both the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) Cookbook Award and the James Beard Foundation Book Award in 2012.
6. We launch a brand new offering of personalized books and gifts available exclusively at MyChronicleBooks.com.
7. The annual Ivy & Bean Day goes international this year, with more than 600 bookstores and libraries celebrating around the world.
8. Darth Vader redeems himself as a father in Darth Vader and Son, even paying a visit to a local library on the first annual Star Wars Reads Day.
9. Our first international retail location opens in Japan, at the Loft Chronicle store in Tokyo.
12. Our Give Books campaign takes off, inspiring people to support local bookstores and share the love of reading this holiday. Even President Obama joins in, and the New York Times reports that small bookstores are thriving this holiday.
A huge thank you to all of our readers, without whom we’d never be able to do what we love and make great books. Here’s to a happy 2013 and best wishes to you all in the New Year!
Guinevere de la Mare
Sr. Community Manager
Baking for a CauseMarch 26th, 2015
It Takes Way More Than LuckMarch 10th, 2015
Susan O’Malley: More Beautiful Than You Could Ever ImagineMarch 3rd, 2015
It’s the Happiest Month Ever!March 2nd, 2015
#ThisIsMyBookstore Round UpFebruary 20th, 2015