From the Chronicle Kitchen: Chocolate Chip Cookies
As a non-baker, I was very excited to make this Chocolate Chip Recipe from Josey Baker Bread. The ingredients were easy to find and I had all the tools already in my kitchen. Chocolate chip cookies are on my list of things to master, since adults and kids both think they are good. So here we go:
- Unsalted butter
- White Sugar
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Sea salt, fine and coarse grind
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Semisweet chocolate, bar and chips or chunks
1. Gather ingredients and tools.
2. Brown that butter. Put the butter in a frying pan (preferably a light-colored one, so you can see the color change when the butter starts to turn brown), and cook over medium-high for a few minutes.
Watch very closely, stirring and smelling the butter along the way. As the butter warms up, it’ll start to boil. This is good – let it boil, and stir it. After 3 to 5 minutes of this, it will all of the sudden start giving off the aroma of toffee or butterscotch, and will turn brown. Remove it from the heat immediately and pour it—Wait! Stop that. Put that down, Destructosaurus. Forks are not used for combing your hair! Oh yes. Pour the butter into a big mixing bowl. Give me that bowl! Thank you. The cookies will be done soon. It’s really easy to go from brown butter to black butter, so be swift here, baker. Destructosaurus! Chocolate is for eating, not drawing on the wall.
3. Mix in some of the ingredients. Toss the following in with the butter:
- White sugar
- Dark brown sugar
- Sea salt, fine grind
- Vanilla —ARGGGG. Let me give you a bowl that you can put your crayons in just like I’m doing.
- Vanilla extract
- Large egg yolk. Can you pick that egg shell up for me? I meant GIVE it to me. Not step on it. Destructosaurus, why don’t you look at the picture of the cookies I’m trying to make?
Back to the ingredients…
- Large egg
What was I doing again? OH yes. Making chocolate chip cookies. Use a whisk to mix for 2 minutes, until everything is fully mixed together.
4. Fold in the rest of the ingredients. Dump in—Rarrrrr! Please use your words. I can’t understand you when you scream. RAAAAWRRRRRR! What did I just say?
OKAY. Okay. I’ll stop making cookies. Where’s that package of Chips Ahoy?
Marketing Manager, Children’s
Countdown to Kindergarten!July 17th, 2014
Friday Reads: Always EmilyJune 27th, 2014
Lift Off! Read With The San Francisco Public LibraryJune 20th, 2014