Parenting

Ridiculous/Amazing Parenting Moments

Comedian and family man Jason Good has had many of us here at Chronicle Books laughing out loud since before This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing: Parenthood in 71 Lists even hit our shelves. Now that his new book is available, there’s lots more laughter, all while the parents on staff nod their heads in solidarity. I’ve asked some of those moms and dads to share their most ridiculous/amazing parenting moments below.

This is Ridiculous… naming her little brother (in utero) “Meatball”
This is Amazing… taking his tiny socks to show-and-tell at school because she’s so excited for his arrival
–Editor Sarah Billingsley, mom to Margot (3)

This is Ridiculous… brushing your rambunctious six-year-old’s teeth with one hand, taking a selfie with the other, while the three-month-old has just woken up and is crying like there’s no tomorrow
This is Amazing… the ‘Earlybird’ filter on Instagram that turns a pale, sleep deprived 45-year-old father into a tanned, fresh 39-year-old father
–International Sales & Subsidiary Rights Director Johan Almqvist, dad to Olivia (6) and Magnus (3 months)

This is Ridiculous… having your 13-year-old daughter tell you that after wearing flats “all her life,” she is ready for heels
This is Amazing…  7-year-old telling his mom that he loves her more than a dog loves his tail
–VP of Sales & Marketing Tyrrell Mahoney, mom to Fiona (14), Harry (10) and Callum (7)

This is Ridiculous… watching Frozen for the 568th time
This is Amazing… his little hand in the popcorn bowl as we snuggle on the couch
–Senior Community Manager Guinevere de la Mare, mom to Arlo (4)

This is Ridiculous… having to order a kids pizza because she likes only cheese and pepperoni
This is Amazing… overhearing her humming along to some of my favorite songs, even though she claims to not like them
–Senior Production Coordinator Steve Kim, dad to Rae (12)

This is Ridiculous… the ratio of sand to floor in our apartment after a playdate at the playground
This is Amazing… his look of happy concentration just sitting in the sand and running his fingers through it
–Designer Allison Weiner, mom to Levi (11 months)

This is Ridiculous… bursting into song like I’m starring in a warped Broadway musical
This is Amazing… his little giggles when my “Let’s Change Your Diaper” song actually works
–Associate Director of Online Marketing Ali Presley, mom to Cormac (7 months)

This is Ridiculous…  arguing with/cajoling your tween son all summer that he has to go to a middle school he’s sure he’ll hate
This is Amazing… arguing with/cajoling your tween son for the next 3 years that he must wash the official middle school sweatshirt he wears every day because he likes his school so much
–Executive Director of Business Development Sarah Williams, mom to Ben (14, soon to enter a high school he’s sure he’ll hate…)

This is Ridiculous… carrying a screaming, writhing 3-year-old out of a restaurant under one arm like a football
This is Amazing… that same 3-year-old pointing to the sky and saying “Is that the moon?  I want to hug the moon!”
–Marketing Design Manager Liz Rico, mom to Tomas (14) and Bianca (17)

This is Ridiculous… going to an evening 5th grade graduation ceremony complete with cap & gown
This is Amazing… watching my first born’s proud and heart-breakingly beautiful smile as he walks across the stage and receives his diploma
–Production Director Lindsay Sablosky, mom to Joe (10), and Annie & Gus (7)

This is Ridiculous… having to search the school’s lost-and-found bin on a daily basis for the lunch box/water bottle/sweater/jacket/book that my youngest son has left behind.
This is Amazing… hearing him say in all sincerity, “When I grow up I want to be a cloud.”
– Design Director Jennifer Tolo Pierce, mom to Henry (8) and Auden (7)

This is Ridiculous This is Amazing

Order This is Ridiculous This is Amazing today, or find it at your favorite local bookstore. And don’t miss the hilarious book trailer!

Comment below with your own Ridiculous/Amazing parenting moment for a chance to win a signed copy of the book and a personal note from author Jason Good!

Lorraine Woodcheke
Lifestyle Marketing & Publicity Manager

• Andrea W June 3, 2014 at 1:38 pm

This is Ridiculous….telling your 6yo daughter that even though she is the youngest in the family, talking like a baby is not allowed

This is Amazing…..watching that same daughter on stage in a musical reciting lines (by herself) she has memorized and speaking clearly and with emotion.

• Sung Hui June 3, 2014 at 3:00 pm

This is ridiculous: My 3 year old asking his Daddy if he could close some doors in the house to earn money for buying cool stuff online.

This is amazing: My 3 year old asking his Daddy to put extra love in his oatmeal for breakfast.

• Kristin June 5, 2014 at 6:34 am

Ridiculous: the minute my 6-year-old hears something disagreeable, like what vegetables we are having for dinner, she says “I am just going to throw a fuss now to get it out of the way” as if this disclaimer lessens the tantrum in some way.

Amazing: She invented a superhero character called the Squirrel of Justice; a new character in the Harry Potter universe named “Violet”; and one morning woke up and said she had such a beautiful dream she wanted to immediately draw it into a book so she never forgot it. I have the pictures she drew–me and her walking towards a sunset.

• Casey June 5, 2014 at 6:45 am

Ridiculous:
    My five year old burst into tears when her daddy jokingly sat on her older brother. She wailed, “nobody ever sits on me!!!”

Amazing:
    We jokingly refer to my husband as “that man who follows us.” He tends to lag behind because he is the one who fetches lost dolls, sunglasses, goes on recon for ice cream, etc. My daughter goes along with the joke but every now and again yells, ” We still know you! We love you!”

• Jenna Unrau June 5, 2014 at 6:47 am

This is ridiculous:
    530 am and I’m half asleep on my couch. My 3 year old demands cherrios and milk and berries, and toast, his toothbrush and his rubber boots. After delivering all items, I sit down and face plant into the couch. My son walks up to me, grabs my face and pulls my lips into a smile and says ” Morning mommy” then giggles and runs away.

• Jessica Prescott June 5, 2014 at 6:51 am

Ridiculous: Having to push my 4,5 yr old on the swing, even though she can swing by herself. Then having her criticize my pushing techniques: not enough hands, not hard enough, too high -_-
    Amazing: Stepping away to do some gardening and watching her get off the swing to push her 3 yr old brother.

• kate mcdonald June 5, 2014 at 7:04 am

This is ridiculous: your 18 year old decides she’s going to be able to move out this summer based on a minimum wage job she doesn’t even have, and you yell at her like a lunatic and tell her how ridiculous she is.. only to realize it is because you are really just not ready for her to go anywhere..

This is amazing: your 18 year old later says she’s never moving out, not because she’s never moving out, but because she realizes you are just not even Near ready for her leave..

• Cayanne Ramuten June 5, 2014 at 7:21 am

Ridiculous: We REALLY have to take ALL 50 of your "babies" out to the couch to watch TV with you? We REALLY have to get them all dressed first? You REALLY want to take 10 "babies" to school with you? I'm not sure there is room for you and me and 10 "babies" in the bed.

Amazing: Loudly singing our favorite songs, like, "A Bushel And A Peck," on our drive to preschool. Every bit of new information she she shares with me.

Juna Finn – Almost 4

• Yayi R. June 5, 2014 at 7:23 am

This is Ridiculous… My 7 year old having a meltdown because her brother splashed her.. While she was in the pool.
    This is Amazing… My 3 year old being disgusted with the dog vomit and yelling, “Eeeeeew! That’s so gross! You’re KILLIN’ me MAN!”

• Shelly June 5, 2014 at 7:27 am

This is ridiculous…spending so much time keeping the toddler from licking outlets and the toilet that you don’t have the energy to proactively prevent him from licking the coffee table, shoes or the dog.

This is amazing…seeing your little boy following his dad around outside “helping” with the yard work.

• Jill Harris June 5, 2014 at 7:38 am

This is ridiculous: Discovering the entire upstairs floor is covered in bits of tiny styrofoam peanuts from a package we received in the mail. I left my 3 year old daughter and her 2 year old cousin to play upstairs for 3 mins! They don’t vacuum up either lol

This is amazing: hearing my 3 year old daughter tell me how much she loves me and says ” you’re the best mommy I got”. Hehe :)

• Maegan June 5, 2014 at 8:32 am

This is ridiculous…having to clean up leprechaun green poop off the carpet because she's doing everything in her power to not go to sleep.

This is amazing…have all three sing along lustily to Jimmy Buffet's "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw".

• Lara Schulenberg Cole June 5, 2014 at 8:54 am

This is ridiculous: My husband walking up the stairs and acting appalled as I was tossing shredded cheese on the hardwood floors to our twin 10 month old girls. "Whaaaat? Why bother with the bowl? They are just going to dump it out on the floor, anyway."

This is amazing: Taking my now 4 year old twins into a dressing room to quickly try on a dress and hearing "Ohhh, Mommy… you look sooooo beautiful!"

• Lee Riggio June 5, 2014 at 8:58 am

This is ridiculous: My 3year who after 11hours of sleep ask me to feed her her breakfast because she just "too tired to pick up the fork".

This is amazing: same kid who seconds later say, "you are the best mom ever because these pancakes are amazing."

• Shannon E. June 5, 2014 at 9:46 am

This is ridiculous: My daughter, after a shower, “Mom, since my feet are clean, can I bite ‘em?” Ewww. No.

This is amazing: My daughter while we’re hugging, “I want to hug you until we both die.” Morbid, but heartwarming. .

• Korrin June 5, 2014 at 10:10 am

This is ridiculous: moving three boys to a foreign country with no ability to speak the language

This is amazing: watching your boys a year later standing and singing the national anthem of newly adopted country and language. Bliss

• Jen June 5, 2014 at 10:30 am

This is ridiculous: Gaining weight from the stress of being a poop doula for 3 year old who refuses to "push it out."
    This is amazing: Even at 3, she enjoys taking a nap and falls asleep on my shoulder while I read to her. She wakes up in a sweaty, shakey fog and giddily tells me something totally random. "Boy Momma, I just didn't realize we were getting ice cream!"

• Heather June 5, 2014 at 1:13 pm

This is ridiculous…offering, in a rock-bottom moment of exhaustion, any amount or item in exchange for your son to go poop in the toilet, including but not limited to: the moon, a pony, or a hundred thousand dollars.
    This is amazing…your son takes your offer and asks for one item: one pink princess toilet seat from Walmart, poops in the toilet, and never has another accident again.

• Kay June 5, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Waiting in a line at a funeral wake, my 5 yr old daughter pipes up, "who's the guy sleeping in the treasure chest?" Out of the mouths of babes

• Amberly B June 5, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Ridiculous: my 5 y/o telling me his (yes, his) tummy hurts because there is a baby inside and she (the baby) is ready to come out and we need to go to the doctor RIGHT NOW.

Amazing: my 5 y/o carrying is nearly 2 y/o brother upstairs for bathtime after 2 y/o jumped off the couch, hurt his foot, and was struggling to get up the stairs.

• Vivian Hemme June 5, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Ridiculous: The fact our household plays Dog or 17 Month Old:
    1) Peed in the house
    2) Ate a marker
    3) Had the rainbow poops from eating a crayon
    4) Ate chicken off the floor after spilling it off the table
    It was our toddler for all four.

Amazing: It was the entire jumbo pack of eight and he didn’t even need antacids, although I did.

• Vee K June 5, 2014 at 6:03 pm

This is ridiculous: When asked what he wants to be when he grows up, my three year old son declared that he wanted to be a train. I said, " You mean you wanted to be a train conductor." He replied, " No mom, I want to be an (actual – me adding) train."

This is amazing: Three years later, my 6 year old son declares that he wants to me a fireman – not the truck or the fire – but the man. :)

• Dani June 5, 2014 at 8:17 pm

This is ridiculous: As my 20 month old old gags on her snack and starts to throw up in the middle of Target, I swoop in for the catch, and she fills the bowl that my hands have become. I am now powerless as she trots off happily and begins removing all the pants and shirts from the lower racks.

This is amazing: I then coax my 3.5 year old to climb into the shopping cart to retrieve and open a diaper from my bag, creating a place to let go of the precious contents so I can chase the maniac around the store. Target carpets, saved!

• Saibeth June 6, 2014 at 12:06 am

This is ridiculous: peeling three pairs of undies off my three year old son at bath time
    This is amazing: Him indignantly saying that it was my fault because I had told to always put a new pair on every day and not explaining properly that he should take the old ones off first.

• Peter June 6, 2014 at 5:57 am

Amazingly ridiculous: My four year-old wants to be a doctor, so we've been reading two different "Human Body" books. We were on a hike, at the point where the trail gets tortuous and narrow (relevant to story). My son says, "Daddy, this hike is like the human digestive system." Naturally I'm curious and ask how. He says, "When we got out of the car we were in the mouth, then the bike path was the esophagus (yep, these are his words), the fire road was the tummy, and now we're in the small intestine." Impressed, I asked what comes next. "Then the large intestine, then the colon." Very impressed (and very amused) I asked if, at the end of the hike, we would be pooped out. He took me literally, and exclaimed excitedly, "Yeah! Yeah! At the end we'll be pooped out!" And we were, and happily so.

• Alexandra Knowles June 7, 2014 at 10:35 am

Preamble: I have 4 children. 6, 4, 3, 1. The 1YO is the only girl.

RIDICULOUS: Each time a kid poops, the tell me that they pooped out a snake/snowman/snowball/cloud
    I have to be amazed. Each. Time.

AMAZING: I live 3 provinces away from my family. When I call my Mom, my oldest says, “Oh, that’s sad. You miss your Mom? I’ll miss you when I grow up.”

• Claire June 8, 2014 at 12:43 pm

This is ridiculous… My son screaming and wailing in the kitchen because mama won’t give him a handful of whipped cream to eat.

This is amazing… The sheer glee and giggle fits that come from him laying his eyes on any living creature. Everything from ants to goats to turtles he loves them all.

Claire S. Art teacher, wife, mom to 20 month of son, two turtles, a frog, and two dogs.

• Emilie Heil June 9, 2014 at 4:12 pm

This is ridiculous: My almost 3 year old advising me that the vehicle I hadjust referred to as a digger was really a front end loader by saying “come on, mumma…. that’s a front end loader…” with an oddly high amount of annoyed inflection in his voice.
    This is amazing: The way he cups my cheeks with his grubby hands, looks deep into my eyes, and says “hi, pretty lady”