A Cold Elixir to Help Ease Flu Season
The 2017 cold and flu season is here in full force. If you or a loved one are feeling under the weather, try this Cold Elixir from Julia Turshen’s Small Victories cookbook. Here’s what Turshen has to say about it:
“Whenever I get a cold, I make endless batches of this mixture. While it might just be something to do while I’m sniffling and shuffling around in thick socks, I feel like ever since I’ve started drinking it, my colds don’t last as long. Small victory: A natural remedy that works. I like to make this in a big batch and store it in the refrigerator (for up to 2 days) and heat it up as I need it. This is also good cold and served over ice (which can help soothe a sore throat).”
- 3 cups [720 ml] boiling water
- One 3-in [7.5-cm] piece fresh peeled ginger, crushed
- ¼ cup [60 ml] apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup [85 g] honey (preferably raw)
- Two 3-in [7.5-cm] cinnamon sticks, each broken in half
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Pinch of kosher salt
In a large bowl or jar, combine the water, ginger, vinegar, honey, cinnamon sticks, cayenne, and salt and stir until the honey dissolves. Strain and drink immediately.
- For a fresh ginger stomachache soother, double the ginger and leave out the vinegar and cayenne.
- I once read that rosemary can help with headaches. If you find yourself with a bad headache, try steeping a roughly chopped branch of rosemary in boiling water. Stir in a bit of honey, too.
- For extra Vitamin C, add the grated zest and juice of a lemon and/or an orange to the elixir.
- To help you sleep, add a chamomile tea bag or a little dried lavender to the elixir. Leave out the cayenne.
– – –
Rest up! For more home cooking recipes, you can find Small Victories here.
Latest posts by Jenna Homen (see all)
- A Book for Every Year: Enter to Win 50 Reads from Chronicle Books - June 20, 2017
- Chronicle Books in Infographic Form - June 20, 2017
- The First Book We Ever Published - June 16, 2017
Kalefornia Bowl: A Healthy + Delicious One-Dish RecipeFebruary 16th, 2017
A Stay-at-Home Dinner Menu for Valentine’s Day (or Any Date Night)February 9th, 2017
How to Treat Your Cast Iron Right, from the Experts at LodgeFebruary 1st, 2017