News

Amy Krouse Rosenthal, We Wished You More

Update: Our beloved author Amy Krouse Rosenthal has passed away. Amy was a one-of-a-kind writer as well as a one-of-a-kind person. Thank you to everyone who has supported her work and to those who have showed their #loveforAmyKrouseRosenthal.

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was more than a writer we work with. She was a friend. She was also a wife, a mother, and a daughter. She was a philosopher with a sly sense of humor, a lover of word-puzzles. She was someone who showed the magic that a unique mind and open heart can make. She was a connector.

In her Modern Love essay “You May Want to Marry My Husband” for The New York Times (please read it), she noted that “more” was her first word. Amy would have liked more time with her husband. More time with her children. More time sipping martinis at the Green Mill Jazz Club. We wanted to sip more martinis with her, too. And we wanted her to create more magic. But that was not going to happen because, as she had told us, she had only a few days left on this planet.

This planet will be less without her here, but we will all be more than we were before we knew her. More adventurous. More thoughtful. More open. More human.

#loveforamykrouserosenthal

She inspired us to want more for ourselves. More for our children, our families, our friends. More for the strangers at the bus stop and for the person who took our parking spot this morning.

So please be inspired by Amy; tell those around you what you wish for them.

Print this card and give it to someone you know, or to someone you don’t. Leave it for a stranger to find in a lovely moment of serendipity.

#loveforamykrouserosenthal

#loveforamykrouserosenthal

#loveforamykrouserosenthal

And join us as we gather together as a community to send our love to Amy’s family, posting our own wishes with the hashtag #loveforamykrouserosenthal.

We wished more for Amy. Because she inspired us more than she would ever know.

With heartfelt wishes,
Amy’s friends at Chronicle Books

Victoria Rock

Founding Children’s Publisher & Editor-At-Large & lucky editorial partner to Missamykr
Contact us

• Lisa Coughlin March 10, 2017 at 11:06 am

Thank you for doing this for Amy. One of my favorite quotes from Anais Nin is:
    “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” Amy has opened a new world in me, and so many others, with her work and fun-loving spirit. I would like to suggest another way we can pay tribute to Amy on her birthday, 4/29, every year. Maybe Chronicle can help spread another tribute to/for her on that day? This pdf message can be part of that tribute, too. Feel free to contact me for suggestions.

• Beth Kaufmann March 11, 2017 at 10:06 am

This is beautiful. Thank you for providing us one More way to show Amy how much we love her!

• Joe Krouse March 11, 2017 at 11:45 am

Thank you all for spreading Amy’s message of love and kindness!

• Cathy Bonnell March 11, 2017 at 1:23 pm

I have said for a long time that I know AKR but I have never met her. She just seems like my friend & kindred spirit through her many beautiful books. I want MORE of them too but wish her more peace.

• Ashley March 11, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Thank you. I am sharing this far and wide so as many people as possible can honor Amy. Her books have been a gift to me and my students.

• Julie Shaver March 11, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Oh my gracious–beautiful and heartbreaking! How many of us will now get “more” tattoos?

• Nancy Johnson March 11, 2017 at 7:44 pm

Once again, I am moved to tears by the continued ways that demonstrate the many gifts from Amy. Her books, her words, her wisdom, her wide-eyed wonder reminds us all to stop this foolishness and give. Give a hug. Give some love. Give some time. Even give some crazy wonder. You are loved, Amy Krause Rosenthal! I hope you can hear us — and feel us wrapping our virtual arms around you and your family.

• Rachel Theunissen March 12, 2017 at 6:59 am

I thank Amy KR for being a shining light in my life and the lives of the students with whom I have shared her words. Thankyou Chronicle books. I wish you more #loveforamykrouserosenthal

• Lori Gravley March 13, 2017 at 9:18 am

I can’t really write this now. I find that tears are blocking my vision. Indeed, I had to erase this and start over becasue my hands were on the wrong place on the keyboard. AKR is my writing role model–the person I’ve always pointed to when people question whether you can write for kids and adults. I reread her books with joy. Indeed, her Pantone project was the first place I published when, after my Asperger’s son learned to thrive without me, I coud finally see a way back to the writing career I’d been working towards when he was born. I can’t imagine a world without Amy. I’ve never met her, never seen her read, but she has made my world a better place. She has allowed me to imagine more. And now, the thought of a world without her in it is breaking my heart. Thank you, Amy.

• Birdy Jones March 13, 2017 at 12:25 pm

I love that idea, Lisa! Perhaps 4/29 can be named “I Wish You More Day” and we do this every year! Keep spreading the love in her wonderful memory.

• Vanessa Schenck March 13, 2017 at 8:46 pm

We are so sad to learn of Amy’s passing. We will be posting an “I wish you more______” post to our Tia Girl Club’s Instagram in honor of Amy and her amazing work. Amy spread joy, and we hope to do the same. RIP Amy. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.