The Children’s Design Fellow will work on book designs geared specifically towards children and young adults. They will have the opportunity to design a variety of book formats while working with illustrators and previously established brands. In addition, they will have the chance to assist in creating original and existing brand support products in various stationery and specialty packaging formats for this group.
- Six months
- Full time (40 hours/week)
- $18,000 stipend (biweekly payments throughout the six-month duration)
- Includes a monthly commuter benefit
Start Date: Tuesday, July 7th, 2015
End Date: Thursday, December 24th, 2015
Chronicle Books is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multitask and take initiative. The position involves a wide range of responsibilities, of which the primary duties are to help support the in-house designers at various stages of the publishing process, from research to design to production.
*Please note: Other work and health/welfare benefits offered to our regular full-time employees do not apply to Fellows. Relocation and housing costs are not covered by Chronicle Books.
Tasks May Include:
- Sales materials
- Book covers/jackets, book interiors, gift products
- Design, develop, refine, and mock-up books and products
- Work with production to ensure accurate product development
- Present and discuss designs
- Participate in coversations with editorial, production design, and sales and marketing team members
- Research creative talent
- Scout art for book or gift projects
- Study background information for individual projects
- Find new materials, products and packaging ideas in support of editorial
- Maintain project dielines according to our style guides
- Scan, organize, log artwork
- Photocopy, laser printing
- Editorial text corrections
- Typographic composition
- Comp book jackets, covers, interior spreads for presentation and sales materials
- Work with production to color correct proofs
- Deliver materials to various departments for review
- Assist in photographing product shots
- Attend and participate in department and company meetings
- Contribute to company events
- Participate in departmental design critiques
While at Chronicle, Design Fellows will take part in Design Lab. Organized by our creative director, this aspect of the Chronicle Design Fellowship program is an opportunity for the Fellows to take specifically designated time, separate from their daily responsibilites, to work as a team on self-initiated, as well as assigned projects to explore innovative designs for new products. Ideas for new materials, production processes, and forms will be encouraged.
All applicants for the Children’s Design Fellow position must have a strong interest in book, publication, or packaging design along with a background in graphic design.
Graduated with an accredited, undergraduate or graduate degree in design within 24 months prior to the start date of the fellowship. Design candidates only.
- Strong working knowledge of the Adobe Suite and Microsoft Word
- Communication skills, written and verbal, in English
- Prioritization, multitasking, and organization skills
- Interpersonal, collaborative skills
- Understanding of typography
- Ability to flow text in long form
- Knowledge of offset printing techniques, photography skills, illustration skills, calligraphy, and package design are a plus, but not required
Required Application Materials:
- Statement of purpose, not exceeding one page
- Physical bound portfolio which includes:
- 10-12 examples of most recent graphic design work (student, personal and/or professional projects welcome)
- Does not exceed 11×17″
- Product shots rather than multiple loose materials
- All pages labeled with your name and Children’s Group Design Fellowship
*All applications must meet these exact requirements to be considered.
No later than March 2nd, 2015
Address Submissions to:
Children’s Design Fellowship Summer/Fall 2015
Attn: Studio Coordinator
680 2nd Street
San Francisco, CA 94107 USA
*Only portfolios including return postage will be returned. Please include return postage for the manner in which you would like your portfolio sent (first class, FedEx, UPS, etc). Portfolios will be handled with care; however, Chronicle Books will not take responsibility for any loss or damage.