Do you have great consumer gift ideas? Are you an expert when it comes to 3D design? Then you should consider the new Product Design/Development Fellowship. This fellowship provides an opportunity for anyone interested in product, packaging, and/or industrial design. The product design/development fellow works closely with our publishing design, industrial design, and production teams to develop and create products with new materials, while also helping with various aspects of the retail space design for our stores and sales fair booths.
- 1 year
- Full time (40 hours/week)
- Salary with benefits
Start Date: July 11, 2016
End Date: June 30, 2017
Chronicle Books is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multitask and take initiative. The position involves a wide range of responsibilities, of which the primary duties are to help support the in-house design team at various stages of the publishing process, from research to design to production.
*Please note: Relocation and housing costs are not covered by Chronicle Books.
Tasks May Include:
- Design, develop, refine, mock-up products and concepts
- Present and discuss designs
- Work with production to ensure accurate product development
- Create sales materials
- Participate in conversations with editorial, production, design, sales and marketing team members for new concepts and project development.
- Research creative talent and scout art for projects
- Study background information for individual projects
- Maintain project die-lines according to our style guides
- Provide rendering and
- Scan, organize, log artwork, photocopy
- Deliver materials to various stakeholders for review
- Assist in photographing product shots
Production & Manufacturing:
- Define materials and manufacturing specification in conjunction with Production Department mentor
- Generate product specifications for vendor bidding and communicate with overseas vendors
- Review and disseminate figures to determine cost-effective and/or most capable manufacturer.
- Gather and collate vendor pricing on various projects
- Attend and participate in department and company meetings
- Contribute to company events
- Participate in departmental design critiques
While at Chronicle, Design Fellows will take part in Design Lab. Organized by our creative director, this aspect of the Chronicle Design Fellowship program is an opportunity for the Fellows to take specifically designated time, separate from their daily responsibilities, to work as a team on self-initiated, as well as assigned projects to explore innovative designs for new products. Ideas for new materials, production processes, and forms will be encouraged.
All applicants for the Product Design/Development Fellowship position must have a strong interest in book, publication, or packaging design along with a background in graphic design, product design, or industrial design.
Graduated with an accredited, undergraduate or graduate degree in design within 24 months prior to the start date of the fellowship. Design candidates only.
- Strong working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Word
- Communication skills, written and verbal, in English
- Prioritization, multitasking, and organization skills
- Interpersonal, collaborative skills
- Interest in 3D design and idea generation
- Knowledge/experience in product design techniques, tools, and the principles involved in production of technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models are an advantage
Required Application Materials:
- Statement of purpose, not exceeding one page
- Physical bound portfolio which includes:
- 10-12 examples of most recent graphic design work (student, personal and/or professional projects welcome)
- Does not exceed 11×17″
- Product shots rather than multiple loose materials
- All pages labeled with your name and Product Design/Development Fellowship
*All applications must meet these exact requirements to be considered.
No later than May 2, 2016
Address Submissions to:
Product Design/Development Fellowship 2016-2017
Attn: Studio Coordinator
680 2nd Street
San Francisco, CA 94107 USA
*Only portfolios including return postage will be returned. Please include return postage for the manner in which you would like your portfolio sent (first class, FedEx, UPS, etc). Portfolios will be handled with care; however, Chronicle Books will not take responsibility for any loss or damage.