The Digital Publishing Fellow is responsible for ebook and enhanced ebook development along with considering ways to enhance interactive aspects of our publishing.
- Six months
- Full time (40 hours/week)
- $17,000 stipend (biweekly payments throughout the six-month duration)
- Includes a monthly commuter benefit
Start Date: Monday, July 7th, 2014
End Date:Friday, December 19th, 2014
Chronicle Books is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multitask and take initiative. The position involves a wide range of responsibilities, of which the primary duties are to help support the in-house designers at various stages of the publishing process, from research to design to production.
*Please note: Other work and health/welfare benefits offered to our regular full-time employees do not apply to Fellows. Relocation and housing costs are not covered by Chronicle Books.
- Make decisions about how printed material is translated to ebooks and be able to communicate these ideas to the team
- Storyboard creation
- Preparing print files for conversion
- Edit HTML and CSS to ensure accurate design execution
- Exporting PDFs
- Image correction
- File management
- Testing and validating content on various devices
- Participate in conversations with editorial, production, design, and sales and marketing team members
- Research and experiment with developing technologies and code, and reporting conclusions to team
- Attend, contribute, and participate in departmental and company meetings and events
While at Chronicle, Design Fellows will take part in Design Lab. Organized by our creative director, this aspect of the Chronicle Design Fellowship program is an opportunity for the Fellows to take specifically designated time, separate from their daily responsibilities, to work as a team on self-initiated, as well as assigned projects to explore innovative designs for new products. Ideas for new materials, production processes, and forms will be encouraged.
All applicants for the Digital Publishing Fellowship position must have an interest in publishing design, mobile technology, and interaction design centered around tablet devices and eReaders. Applicants should also have a comfortable working knowledge of InDesign, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and HTML/CSS.
Graduated with an accredited, undergraduate or graduate degree* in design within the past 24 months. Digital design and publishing candidates only.
*Applicants with Digital Publishing certificates are also encouraged to apply.
- Strong working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver) and Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with Terminal, FTP clients, zipping files, running scripts
- Eagerness to learn new software and test products on a range of devices
- Familiarity with EPUB2/EPUB3 specifications and ebook conversion a plus
- Knowledge of or interest in photography, illustration, UX/UI or copyediting a plus
Required Application Materials:
- Statement of purpose, not exceeding one page
- Link to online portfolio
*All applications must meet these exact requirements to be considered.
No later than March 1st, 2014
Email submissions to:
With the subject line: Digital Publishing Fellowship Summer/Fall 2014