Do you have great consumer gift ideas? Are you an expert when it comes to 3D design? Then you should consider the new Product Design/Development Fellowship. This fellowship provides an opportunity for anyone interested in product, packaging, and/or industrial design. The product design/development fellow works closely with our publishing design, industrial design, and production teams to develop and create products with new materials, while also helping with various aspects of the retail space design for our stores and sales fair booths.
- 1 year
- $20/hour, Full time (40 hours/week)
- 2 weeks paid vacation + 1 week paid holiday break
Start Date: July 10, 2017
End Date: June 29, 2018
Chronicle Books is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multitask and take initiative. The position involves a wide range of responsibilities, of which the primary duties are to help support the in-house design team at various stages of the publishing process, from research to design to production.
*Please note: Relocation and housing costs are not covered by Chronicle Books.
Tasks May Include:
- Design, develop, refine, mock-up products and concepts
- Present and discuss designs
- Work with production to ensure accurate product development
- Create sales materials
- Participate in conversations with editorial, production, design, sales and marketing team members for new concepts and project development.
- Research creative talent and scout art for projects
- Study background information for individual projects
- Maintain project die-lines according to our style guides
- Provide rendering and
- Scan, organize, log artwork, photocopy
- Deliver materials to various stakeholders for review
- Assist in photographing product shots
Production & Manufacturing:
- Define materials and manufacturing specification in conjunction with Production Department mentor
- Generate product specifications for vendor bidding and communicate with overseas vendors
- Review and disseminate figures to determine cost-effective and/or most capable manufacturer.
- Gather and collate vendor pricing on various projects
- Attend and participate in department and company meetings
- Contribute to company events
- Participate in departmental design critiques
While at Chronicle, Design Fellows will take part in Design Lab. Organized by our creative director, this aspect of the Chronicle Design Fellowship program is an opportunity for the Fellows to take specifically designated time, separate from their daily responsibilities, to work as a team on self-initiated, as well as assigned projects to explore innovative designs for new products. Ideas for new materials, production processes, and forms will be encouraged.
All applicants for the Product Design/Development Fellowship position must have a strong interest in book, publication, or packaging design along with a background in graphic design, product design, or industrial design.
Graduated with an accredited, undergraduate or graduate degree in design within 24 months prior to the start date of the fellowship. Design candidates only.
- Strong working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Word
- Communication skills, written and verbal, in English
- Prioritization, multitasking, and organization skills
- Interpersonal, collaborative skills
- Interest in 3D design and idea generation
- Knowledge/experience in product design techniques, tools, and the principles involved in production of technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models are an advantage
Required Application Materials:
Please email the following to email@example.com:
- Statement of purpose, not exceeding one page
- PDF portfolio or link to your website
*All applications must meet these exact requirements to be considered.
No later than April 3, 2017
Please write the following in the subject line of your email: Product Development/Design Fellowship 2017-2018 Submission