- Six months
- Full time (40 hours/week)
- $17,000 stipend (biweekly payments throughout the six-month duration
- Includes a monthly commuter benefit
Start Date: Monday, January 13, 2014
End Date: Thursday, July 3, 2014
Chronicle Books is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multitask and take initiative. The position involves a wide range of responsibilities, of which the primary duties are to help support the in-house designers at various stages of the publishing process, from research to design to production.
*Please note: Other work and health/welfare benefits offered to our regular full-time employees do not apply to Fellows. Relocation and housing costs are not covered by Chronicle Books.
- Make decisions about how printed material is translated to ebooks and be able to communicate these ideas to the team
- Storyboard creation
- Preparing print files for conversion
- Edit HTML and CSS to ensure accurate design execution
- Exporting PDFs
- Image correction
- File management
- Testing and validating content on various devices
- Participate in conversations with editorial, production, design, and sales and marketing team members
- Research and experiment with developing technologies and code, and reporting conclusions to team
- Attend, contribute, and participate in departmental and company meetings and events
While at Chronicle, Design Fellows will take part in Design Lab. Organized by our creative director, this aspect of the Chronicle Design Fellowship program is an opportunity for the Fellows to take specifically designated time, separate from their daily responsibilities, to work as a team on self-initiated, as well as assigned projects to explore innovative designs for new products. Ideas for new materials, production processes, and forms will be encouraged.
Graduated with an accredited, undergraduate or graduate degree in design within the past 24 months. Design and digital media candidates only.
- Strong working knowledge of the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver) and Microsoft Office
- Understanding of typography
- Eagerness to learn old/new software
- Understanding of and interest in UX/UI design
- Familiarity with Terminal, FTP clients, zipping and unzipping files, Quark and running scripts
- Knowledge of or interest in photography, illustration, calligraphy, and package design is a plus, but not required
Required Application Materials:
- Statement of purpose, not exceeding one page
- Link to online portfolio
*All applications must meet these exact requirements to be considered.
No later than Tuesday, October 1, 2013
Applicants will be notified of their standing within 1 month of the application due date.
Email submissions to:
With the subject line: Digital Media Fellowship Winter/Spring 2014