The Marketing Design Fellow will work with the Marketing Communications team to create collateral materials to promote a range of products for all publishing categories, while also exploring Chronicle Books’ overarching brand and identity. Projects include advertising, signage, brochures, posters, displays, invitations, event kits, catalogs, promotional giveaways, sell-sheets, sales materials, promotional videos, and corporate identity.
- 1 year
- Full time (40 hours/week)
- Salary with benefits
Start Date: July 11, 2016
End Date: June 30, 2017
Chronicle Books is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multitask and take initiative. The position involves a wide range of responsibilities, of which the primary duties are to help support the in-house designers at various stages of the publishing process, from research to design to production.
*Please note: Relocation and housing costs are not covered by Chronicle Books.
Tasks May Include:
- Design and production of a variety of sales and marketing materials for print, web, and video
- Design and production of materials for in-house events
- Organization, filing and archiving
- Mock-ups and mounting of some finished materials
- Assist in photographing product shots for various projects
- Assist with in-house video productions
- Work directly with Marketing Managers to make the best marketing graphics in the business
- Attend and participate in various department and company meetings
- Participate in discussions, critiques, and seminars with fellow designers
While at Chronicle, Design Fellows will take part in Design Lab. Organized by our creative director, this aspect of the Chronicle Design Fellowship program is an opportunity for the Fellows to take specifically designated time, separate from their daily responsibilites, to work as a team on self-initiated, as well as assigned projects to explore innovative designs for new products. Ideas for new materials, production processes, and forms will be encouraged.
All applicants for the Marketing Design Fellowship position must have a strong interest in book, publication, identity, or packaging design along with a background in graphic design.
Graduated with an accredited, undergraduate or graduate degree in design within 24 months prior to the start date of the fellowship. Design candidates only.
- Strong working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Word
- Communication skills, written and verbal, in English
- Prioritization, multitasking, and organization skills
- Interpersonal, collaborative skills
- Strong understanding of typography
- Ability to flow text in long form
- Knowledge of offset printing techniques, photography skills, illustration skills, calligraphy, and package design are a plus, but not required
Required Application Materials:
- Statement of purpose, not exceeding one page
- Physical bound portfolio which includes:
- 10-12 examples of most recent graphic design work (student, personal and/or professional projects welcome)
- Does not exceed 11×17″
- Product shots rather than multiple loose materials
- All pages labeled with your name and Marketing Communications Design Fellowship
*All applications must meet these exact requirements to be considered.
No later than May 2, 2016
Address Submissions to:
Marketing Design Fellowship 2016-2017
Attn: Studio Coordinator
680 2nd Street
San Francisco, CA 94107 USA
*Only portfolios including return postage will be returned. Please include return postage for the manner in which you would like your portfolio sent (first class, FedEx, UPS, etc). Portfolios will be handled with care; however, Chronicle Books will not take responsibility for any loss or damage.