The Adult Books & Gifts Design Fellow will be a designer for the Food and Drink, Lifestyle, Art, and Entertainment Publishing Groups. In addition, they will have the chance to assist in creating original and existing brand support products in various stationery and specialty packaging formats for these groups.
- 1 year
- $20/hour, Full time (40 hours/week)
- 2 weeks paid vacation + 1 week paid holiday break
Start Date: July 10, 2017
End Date: June 29, 2018
Chronicle Books is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multitask and take initiative. The position involves a wide range of responsibilities, of which the primary duties are to help support the in-house designers at various stages of the publishing process, from research to design to production.
*Please note: Relocation and housing costs are not covered by Chronicle Books.
Tasks May Include:
- Sales materials
- Book covers/jackets, book interiors, gift products
- Design, develop, refine, mock-up books and products
- Work with production to ensure accurate product development
- Present and discuss designs
- Participate in coversations with editorial, production, design, and sales and marketing team members
- Research creative talent
- Scout art for book or gift projects
- Study background information for individual projects
- Find new materials, products and packaging ideas in support of editorial
- Scan, organize, log artwork
- Editorial text corrections
- Typographic composition
- Comp book jackets, covers, interior spreads for presentation and sales materials
- Work with Production to color correct proofs
- Deliver materials to various departments for review
- Assist in photographing product shots
- Attend and participate in department and company meetings
- Contribute to company events
- Participate in departmental design critiques
While at Chronicle, Design Fellows will take part in Design Lab. Organized by our creative director, this aspect of the Chronicle Design Fellowship program is an opportunity for the Fellows to take specifically designated time, separate from their daily responsibilities, to work as a team on self-initiated, as well as assigned projects to explore innovative designs for new products. Ideas for new materials, production processes, and forms will be encouraged.
All applicants for the Adult Books & Gifts Design Fellowship position must have a strong interest in book, publication, or packaging design along with a background in graphic design.
Graduated with an accredited, undergraduate or graduate degree in design within 24 months prior to the start date of the fellowship. Design candidates only.
- Strong working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Word
- Communication skills, written and verbal, in English
- Prioritization, multitasking, and organization skills
- Interpersonal, collaborative skills
- Strong understanding of typography
- Ability to flow text in long form
- Knowledge of offset printing techniques, photography skills, illustration skills, calligraphy, and package design are a plus, but not required
Required Application Materials:
- Statement of purpose, not exceeding one page
- Physical bound portfolio which includes:
- 10-12 examples of most recent graphic design work (student, personal and/or professional projects welcome)
- Work MUST include examples of page layout, book design, and projects that show experience working with large amounts of text
- Does not exceed 11×17″
- Product shots rather than multiple loose materials
- All pages labeled with your name and Adult Books & Gifts Design Fellowship
*All applications must meet these exact requirements to be considered.
No later than April 3, 2017
Address Submissions to:
Adult Books & Gifts Design Fellowship 2017-2018
Attn: Studio Coordinator
680 2nd Street
San Francisco, CA 94107 USA
*Only portfolios including return postage will be returned. Please include return postage for the manner in which you would like your portfolio sent (first class, FedEx, UPS, etc). Portfolios will be handled with care; however, Chronicle Books will not take responsibility for any loss or damage.