Okay, so it doesnt
exactly help keep the beer cold. However, it does keep your hand warm
and, more importantly, it looks great. This is a fabulous gift for the
beer drinkers in your life. It also provides a great introduction to knitting
in the round using double-pointed needles. If you can make this cozy,
you are ready to move on to mittens.
YOU WILL NEED
1 ball (100 grams) acrylic worsted weight yarn, or 2
colors of scrap yarn 1 ounce each) for a striped cozy
4 size 6 double-pointed needles
Row counter (optional)
Knitting in the round
Weaving in loose ends
DIFFICULTY LEVEL = 3
1. Cast 32 stitches onto 1 of the needles. Divide the stitches among
3 of the needles, with 12, 12, and 8 stitches on the needles.
2. Join the stitches in a circle and work 5 rounds in knit 2, purl 2 ribbing.
3. Work the next 14 rounds in stockinette stitch (knit only, since youre
working in the round). If you want to make a stripe around the cozy, attach
the second color at the beginning of round 9 and return to the main color
at the beginning of round 17.
4. Work 5 rounds in knit 2, purl 2 ribbing.
5. Bind off, and use your yarn needle to weave in the loose ends.
improvisation ideas: Knit the cozy in your favorite teams colors.
You can also personalize it by cross-stitching an initial on the front.