Executive Director of Sales
Chronicle Books offers a rare opportunity to an accomplished Sales leader with extensive book publishing/Trade Sales experience. If you are a collaborative, charismatic leader with over 10 years' experience managing a publishing sales team and possess an effective results-orientated approach to developing and growing business, you could be our next Executive Director of Sales. Reporting to the VP of Sales and Marketing, this role provides the overall leadership and direction to the domestic sales department across all market channels with the goal to meet and exceed company sales and operating income goals, including the sales goals of our distribution partners.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to Sales department across all market channels
- Supervise and support the managers and directors of each market channel (Trade, Specialty, and Mass Markets), providing the overall strategic direction that will maximize revenues and profits in all areas
- Have a key understanding of US marketplace, market channels and key customers in order to profitably grow sales and market share, and penetration.
- Identify the key opportunities at retailers and maximize the sales potential through strategic planning; these plans should include growing net sales and managing business to improve gross margins
- Work as a partner with Executive Director of Marketing to ensure that plans for key titles are in place to drive sales and sell thru at retail; work together to establish merchandising and co-op programs at key retailers which increase sales and market share
- Work as a partner with the Director of Distribution to ensure all sales goals and objectives are met for each distribution client; communicate and liaise with publishers on regular basis; identify opportunities and lead team to deliver growth in this business segment. Help pitch and on board new clients
- Work with Finance, VP, and Publisher to set title sales and market channel budgets each year
- Create plans to meet and exceed annual budget by market channel. This should include contingency plans should there be a shortfall.
- Review and amend monthly and quarterly forecasts
- Provide monthly communication to operating group on sales to date, reasons for exceeding or missing budget and point out trends which impact business; this should include communication of backlist versus frontlist trends, and trends by market channel
- Participate in publishing acquisition meetings for lead titles; and other creative processes as needed
- Work with sales managers and directors to review commission/sales structure and territory coverage, initiate changes when appropriate
- Work with Sales Director to ensure co-op and placement dollars are spent wisely and efficiently
- Manage departmental expenses according to budget
- Work with VP of Sales and Finance team to set appropriate sales incentives and bonus plans
- Partner with analytical team to conduct analysis on sales performance, for all customer segments, and be chief communicator of this information to the domestic sales team and editorial team as needed
- Maintain and grow the overall performance of the Chronicle Books customer base, including leading new customer acquisition strategy and initiatives and tracking
- 10+ years of experience managing a large sales team, preferably in the trade publishing industry.
- Strong business sense and understanding of the drivers of a successful and profitable sales and retail merchandising programs
- Experience in building and managing a high performance sales team; refined results-orientated leadership style centered on staff engagement and development and the championing of our publishing program
- Experience working in a sales-driven environment and having extensive retailer relationships and insights that deliver successful sales programs, initiatives, promotions and recommendations
- Direct experience in building and managing to revenue goals, budgets and ROI targets
- Deep analytical foundation in understanding and assessing sales performance on a variety of levels
- Experience working closely with new account development and outreach and CRM systems
- Exceptional project and time management abilities, highly attuned communication skills and account management sensibilities
- Flexible and transparent approach, demonstrating a honed collaborative work style centered on small teams
Who We Are
One of the most admired and respected publishing companies in the United States, Chronicle Books was founded in 1967 and over the years has developed a reputation for award-winning, innovative books and gift product. Our independent company continues to challenge conventional publishing wisdom, setting trends in both subject and format across a list that is as diverse as it is distinctive. We seek and hire people who are committed to the frank exchange of ideas and who foster an atmosphere of mutual accountability and trust to help us succeed. At Chronicle Books, we see things differently: we believe in collaboration, we focus on design and quality, and we have a passion for surprising and delighting our readers. We think this makes an exciting and special place to create our publishing.
Please submit an engaging cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to note Executive Director of Sales in the subject line of your email. As a publisher, communication skills are critically important; your cover letter should demonstrate your written communication ability and provide some insight into you as a candidate and your interest in specifically working at Chronicle Books.
***No calls please!***