Art + Design

A DoughNote in Every Mailbox

We may have reached peak donut. National Donut Days and other pseudo-holidays aside, we here at Chronicle have been under their sugary spell for a while, as evidenced by these DoughNotes illustrated by Hannah Berman. That’s right—notecards shaped like donuts.

Sure, donuts are delicious. But more importantly, they have a quality that makes for both a great snack spread and a satisfying set of notecards: delightful visual variety on a theme.

So which friend gets which DoughNote? We took the liberty of making you a handy guide, matching personalities to classic donut types. Someone had to do it.

The Rainbow Sprinkle

This friend is a lot of fun and has a way of always looking great in photos. She’s a variation on a classic and takes a good thing and makes it even better. A traditionalist with a sense of humor.

Rainbow Sprinkles Donut

The Cruller

Elegant and delicate, sometimes too much for her own good. Can get squashed in a box with other heartier donuts. You may want to protect her. But she’s tougher than you think, and usually puffs back out nicely. And she makes you grateful that such a sensitive and lovely option exists.

French Cruller

The Glazed

This friend reaches for the stars and rises to the occasion. This is not always easy, and she may have the marks to prove it, but she is able to still keep it light and you love her for that.

Raised Donut

The Old Fashioned

The name almost says it all, but not quite. She likes to do things in a time-tested manner. And why not? There’s a reason why things stick around for a while—they work! She has the most surface area of any donut and therefore can accommodate the most icing. You’ve gotta hand it to her—she knows what she’s doing.

Old Fashioned Donut

The Boston Cream

There’s a lot going on in there. She can be a polarizing figure and a strong flavor. But that’s exactly why you like her so much. You can take her or leave her, but you definitely have an opinion either way. Her attitude is, “say whatever you want, as long as you keep talking about me!”

Boston Cream Donut

The Chocolate-Coconut

She does things her own way, and she always stands out. She believes that it’s as important to have a compelling outside as a substantive inside. She likes to bring things together that you might not think would work, but with her influence they somehow always do.

coconut

Do you agree with our pastry psychoanalysis? Or is it half-baked? Tell us below!

Photos by Irene Kim Shepherd

Kathryn Jaller

Kathryn Jaller

Previous Associate Director of online strategy at Chronicle Books and art/craft/cat lady. You can follow her at @kholler.
Kathryn Jaller

Latest posts by Kathryn Jaller (see all)

• Margaret N June 5, 2015 at 10:45 am

Why no gentlemen donuts? I mean, I will say that you’ve got these ladies profiled pretty dang well, but still!
    I love these cards.
    -Persnickity

• Kathryn Jaller June 5, 2015 at 10:48 am

Thank you dear donut analysis enthusiast! We would love to expand our research. Feel free to add your findings.

• Ella June 5, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I love these cards they are so cute. I think I am most like the Cruller donut! I would totally put these super cute donut cards in my room so all my BFF’s can see them! I love donuts so so so much in fact I am wearing donut pants right now! I celebrate this day in honor of yummy donuts!

• Karyn June 5, 2015 at 6:32 pm

So, I agree with all of the donut analysis. I am a Boston Cream btw. Here are 2 I think you missed.

Chocolate Frosted – the no nonsense friend who just wants the usual things in life. A no frills type who enjoys the simple things in life. She or he is too busy experiencing life to waste time with unimportant decisions.
    Powdered Jelly – the ultimate multi-tasker. She enjoys all things that can be used for many purposes. Brunch is her favorite meal as it serves to get both breakfast and lunch off of her to do list.

• Carla J June 5, 2015 at 7:06 pm

These are amazing! Love the doughnote cards, and I know my daughters will too. Not sure about the psychoanalysis–we would eat any of them!

• Carol Ann Madle June 5, 2015 at 8:59 pm

What a fun ditzy measurement – could be very helpful for deciding whom to invite to a party, especially a smaller dinner party where a good combination of people certainly enhances a meal. Or,better yet,, serve these donuts for dessert like fortune cookies & have fun with itj!

• Barbara Ford June 7, 2015 at 1:37 am

Karyn’s additions are great! If you wanted to get into a really deep analysis you could examine the different types of fillings and then the different flavors within each type. Best example is all the flavors of jelly from apple through raspberry. Subcategories could keep your choice of doughnotes going for some time.

• Elizabeth June 8, 2015 at 9:39 am

I would add:

The Doughnut Hole finds substance in places and things that other people overlook. (S)he will listen quietly as other people chatter, seeming to blend into the surroundings. As soon as the Doughnut Hole’s presence has been forgotten, he or she will startle everyone with a sudden quip, a kind word, or a hidden talent! In spite of the Doughnut Hole’s unfortunate moniker, his or her presence is always welcome (and you’re left wanting more when he or she leaves).

• Elizabeth June 10, 2015 at 10:31 am

This is true, and kind of a paradox to boot! Apparently the French term is trou de beigne, which sounds much better, of course…