Make Your Own Colorful + Modern Valentine’s Day Cards
Valentine’s Day is around the corner, so what better way to show someone you care than with a DIY card? Sally J Shim is the author of Be Mine, a sweet-as-can-be paper crafting book—here she gives step-by-step instructions for the Color Block Pocket Valentines.
These are colorful, modern, and perfect for a friend or loved one! You can mix and match different colors or patterned papers to reflect the style of each recipient, or even add a personalized valentine, photograph, or trinket inside the pocket.
- 4.25” x 5.5” pieces of colored cardstock in two colors
- 5.5” x 8.5” piece of white copy paper
- 8.5” x 11” piece of white cardstock
- 1/4” double-sided tape
- X-ACTO knife
- Cutting mat
1. Print pocket template printable on white copy paper. Cut out along lines.
2. Print the valentine printable on white cardstock. Place cardstock on a cutting mat and use a ruler and X-ACTO knife to cut along inside of lines.
3. Trace the template onto a 4.25” x 5.5” piece of colored cardstock. Place cardstock on a cutting mat and use a ruler and X-ACTO knife to cut along lines.
4. Place 1/4” double-sided tape along the outside edges of the pocket, except for the diagonal side. Adhere pocket to the 4.25” x 5.5” piece of colored cardstock. If the edges do not match up, use the X-ACTO knife to trim.
5. Write a message on the valentine printable and place it inside the pocket.
There you have it! For more Valentine’s Day craft inspiration, check out Sally’s book Be Mine.
Other books for Valentine’s Day fun:
- I Love You Around the World by Lisa Swerling and Ralph Lazar
- Paper + Craft by Minhee and Truman Cho, with Randi Brookman Harris
- Weddings in Color by Minhee Cho and Vané Broussard
Latest posts by Sally J Shim (see all)
- Make Your Own Colorful + Modern Valentine’s Day Cards - February 10, 2016
- #GiveBooks: Corrugated Paper Book Wrap - December 15, 2014
- Pretty Packages - September 9, 2014
What Kind of Mama Are You?May 9th, 2019
Go it Alone: Plan a Safe Solo HikeMarch 28th, 2019
Finally: An Astrology Guide for Modern TimesMarch 22nd, 2019
10 Ways to Get Your Entire Family Hooked on BooksJanuary 24th, 2019
How to Be Respectfully Culturally CuriousNovember 13th, 2018