Design Fellow, Brand
Chronicle Books seeks an early-career graphic designer to take part in a year-long design fellowship with the Brand team. This fellow will design collateral materials to promote a range of products for all publishing categories, while also exploring Chronicle Books' overarching brand and identity. Projects include advertising, signage, brochures, posters, displays, invitations, event kits, catalogs, promotional giveaways, sell-sheets, sales materials, promotional videos, and corporate identity.
Chronicle Books is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multitask and take initiative. The position involves a wide range of responsibilities, of which the primary duties are to help support the in-house designers at various stages of the publishing process, from research to design to production.
Required Education: Undergraduate or graduate degree in Design from an accredited institution.
- Strong working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Word
- Communication skills, written and verbal, in English
- Prioritization, multitasking, and organization skills
- Interpersonal, collaborative skills
- Strong understanding of brand
- Interest in children’s books and gift products
- Knowledge of offset printing techniques, photography skills, illustration skills, calligraphy, and package design are a plus, but not required
- 1 year term (July 6, 2020 – June 25, 2021)
- $45k annually, full-time (40 hours / week)*
- Health benefits
- Paid vacation time and sick leave
*Please note: Relocation and housing costs are not covered by Chronicle Books.
Tasks May Include:
- Design and production of a variety of sales and marketing materials for print, web, and video
- Design and production of materials for in-house events
- Organization, filing and archiving
- Mock-ups and mounting of some finished materials
- Assist in photographing product shots for various projects
- Assist with in-house video productions
- Work directly with Marketing Managers to make the best marketing graphics in the business
- Attend and participate in various department and company meetings
- Participate in discussions, critiques, and seminars with fellow designers
While at Chronicle, Design Fellows will take part in Design Lab. Organized by our creative director, this aspect of the Chronicle Design Fellowship program is an opportunity for the Fellows to take specifically designated time, separate from their daily responsibilities, to work as a team on self-initiated as well as assigned projects to explore innovative designs for new products. Ideas for new materials, production processes, and forms will be encouraged.
Please send all required materials to the address below. All materials must be received by April 3, 2020 in order to be considered.
Brand Design Fellowship 2020-2021
Attn: Studio Coordinator
680 2nd Street
San Francisco, CA
- Fellowship application cover sheet
- Statement of purpose (maximum one page)
- Physical bound portfolio that meets the following requirements:
- 10-12 examples of most recent graphic design work (student, personal and/or professional projects welcome)
- Does not exceed 11x17”
- Contains examples of page layout, book design, and projects demonstrating experience working with large amounts of text
- Uses product shots instead of multiple, loose materials
- All pages labeled with your name and “Brand Design Fellowship”
All applications must meet these exact requirements to be considered.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found at chroniclebooks.com/designfellowship.