Design Fellow, Industrial/Product Design
Chronicle Books seeks an early-career industrial designer with great consumer gift ideas and an expertise in 3D design to take part in our year-long design fellowship program. The position will work closely with the publishing design, industrial design, and production teams to develop and create fresh products with new materials, while also helping with various aspects of Chronicle Books’ retail store design and sales fair booths.
Chronicle Books is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multitask and take initiative. The position involves a wide range of responsibilities, of which the primary duties are to help support the in-house designers at various stages of the publishing process, from research to design to production.
Required Education: Undergraduate or graduate degree in Design from an accredited institution.
- Strong working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Word
- Communication skills, written and verbal, in English
- Prioritization, multitasking, and organization skills
- Interpersonal, collaborative skills
- Proficiency in 3D design and idea generation
- Knowledge/experience in product design techniques, tools, and the principles involved in production of technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models are an advantage
- 1 year term (July 6, 2020 – June 25, 2021)
- $45k annually, full-time (40 hours / week)*
- Health benefits
- Paid vacation time and sick leave
*Please note: Relocation and housing costs are not covered by Chronicle Books.
Tasks May Include:
- Design, develop, refine, mock-up products and concepts
- Present and discuss designs
- Work with production to ensure accurate product development
- Create sales materials
- Participate in conversations with editorial, production, design, sales and marketing team members for new concepts and project development
- Research creative talent and scout art for projects
- Study background information for individual projects
- Maintain project die-lines according to our style guides
- Provide rendering
- Scan, organize, log artwork, photocopy
- Deliver materials to various stakeholders for review
- Assist in photographing product shots
Production & Manufacturing:
- Define materials and manufacturing specification in conjunction with Production Department mentor
- Generate product specifications for vendor bidding and communicate with overseas vendors
- Review and disseminate figures to determine cost-effective and/or most capable manufacturer
- Gather and collate vendor pricing on various projects
- Attend and participate in department and company meetings
- Contribute to company events
- Participate in departmental design critiques
While at Chronicle, Design Fellows will take part in Design Lab. Organized by our creative director, this aspect of the Chronicle Design Fellowship program is an opportunity for the Fellows to take specifically designated time, separate from their daily responsibilities, to work as a team on self-initiated as well as assigned projects to explore innovative designs for new products. Ideas for new materials, production processes, and forms will be encouraged.
Please send all required materials to email@example.com by April 3, 2020 with “Industrial/Product Design Fellowship 2020-2021” and your name in the subject line.
- Fellowship application cover sheet
- Statement of purpose (maximum one page)
- PDF portfolio or link to your website
All applications must meet these exact requirements to be considered.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found at chroniclebooks.com/designfellowship.