Design Studio Intern
The Design Department at Chronicle Books periodically offers a paid internship to support the creation of materials for foreign book fairs and other sales-related events. This position is primarily responsible for making of mock-ups by hand, though he or she may be asked to assist with various design, production and administrative tasks. This is an opportunity for a new designer to gain valuable insight into the publishing industry and a better understanding of the design process behind our books and gifts.
- All interviews will be conducted in San Francisco
- The internship is based in San Francisco, and relocation is not available
- Length of internship will vary (ranging from 2 weeks-3 months
- Part time (20-30 hours/week)
- Hourly compensation
- Must be a current resident of the Bay Area
- Start Date/End Date: Will vary depending on need
Chronicle Books is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multitask and take initiative.
Tasks May Include:
Sales Materials Development:
- Trimming, assembling, and binding mock-ups by hand for book fairs
- Preparing sales materials and prototypes for sales pitches
Design & Production:
- Performing production work (creating clipping paths, kiss cuts for stickers, dielines for various components, etc.)
- Altering images, making color changes, etc. in Photoshop
- Scanning, file conversions, relinking files, etc.
- (Depending On Experience) Illustrating simple spot art and graphic embellishments
- (Depending On Experience) Assisting with galley corrections and small design projects
Research & Organization:
- Updating the cover wall throughout catalog season
- Maintaining font and image databases
- Organizing library, critique space, and production room
- Re-shelving books and formats in the book room
All applicants for the design internship position must have exceptional hand skills and facility with an X-acto knife. Candidates must demonstrate a strong interest in book, publication, or packaging design along with a background in graphic design.
Current students or recent graduates are welcome to apply. Graphic Design or Industrial Design candidates only.
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite
- Desire to create physical mock-ups
- Stellar hand skills
- MUST be a detail-oriented, self-starter with a “can-do” attitude
Required Application Materials:
- Statement of purpose (maximum length: one page)
- PDF or link to portfolio that includes examples of hand-made work. Portfolios that do not include these samples will not be considered
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please email your application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org.