Design Fellow, Books and Gifts
The Books & Gifts Design Fellow works on book designs geared specifically towards children and young adults. They will have the opportunity to design a variety of book formats while working with illustrators and previously established brands. In addition, they will have the chance to assist in creating original and existing brand support products in various stationery and specialty packaging formats for this group.
Chronicle Books is a highly collaborative, team-oriented work environment that requires good interpersonal and communication skills, as well as an ability to multitask and take initiative. The position involves a wide range of responsibilities, of which the primary duties are to help support the in-house designers at various stages of the publishing process, from research to design to production.
- Sales materials
- Book covers/jackets, book interiors, gift products
- Design, develop, refine, mock-up books and products
- Work with production to ensure accurate product development
- Present and discuss designs
- Participate in conversations with editorial, production, design, and sales and marketing team members
- Research creative talent
- Scout art for book or gift projects
- Study background information for individual projects
- Find new materials, products and packaging ideas in support of editorial
- Maintain project dielines according to our style guides
- Scan, organize, log artwork
- Photocopying, laser printing
- Editorial text corrections
- Typographic composition
- Comp book jackets, covers, interior spreads for presentation and sales materials
- Work with production to color correct proofs
- Deliver materials to various departments for review
- Assist in photographing product shots
- Attend and participate in department and company meetings
- Contribute to company events
- Participate in departmental design critiques
While at Chronicle Books, Design Fellows will take part in Design Lab. Organized by our creative director, this aspect of the Chronicle Design Fellowship program is an opportunity for the Fellows to take specifically designated time, separate from their daily responsibilities, to work as a team on self-initiated as well as assigned projects to explore innovative designs for new products. Ideas for new materials, production processes, and forms will be encouraged.
All applicants for the Books & Gifts Graphic Design Fellow position must have a strong interest in book, publication, or packaging design along with a background in graphic design.
In addition to college and art school graduates, we encourage applicants relatively new to graphic design to apply for this opportunity as well. Applicants are not required to have had a formal education in the field, but must possess proficient skills with Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, as well as an interest in book and gift design.
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, and Microsoft Word
- Communication skills, written and verbal, in English
- Prioritization, multitasking, and organization skills
- Interpersonal, collaborative skills
- Understanding of typography
- Ability to flow text in long form
- Knowledge of offset printing techniques, photography skills, illustration skills, calligraphy, and package design are a plus, but not required
Please submit the following:
- Statement of purpose (maximum one page)
- PDF portfolio that meets the following requirements
- 10-12 examples of most recent graphic design work (student, personal, and/or professional projects welcome)
- Contains examples of page layout, book design, and projects demonstrating experience working with large amounts of text
- Uses product shots instead of multiple, loose materials
- All pages labeled with your name and “Children’s Books and Gifts Graphic Design Fellowship” [e.g. Jane Doe | Children’s Books and Gifts Graphic Design Fellowship]
- When emailing a PDF portfolio, the file should be 10mb or less.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions can be found at chroniclebooks.com/designfellowship.
*All applications must meet these exact requirements in order to be considered. Please do NOT submit illustration work; this is a graphic design fellowship.
*Please send all required materials to email@example.com by May 3rd, 2021 with the subject line format as follows, “Name / Fellowship You’re Applying For” (e.g. “Jane Doe / Books & Gifts Graphic Design Fellowship” or “John Smith / Children’s Books and Gifts Graphic Design Fellowship”)