Inspired by the enduring magic of books, we cultivate and distribute exceptional publishing that is instantly recognizable for its spirit and creativity. Our collaborations spark the passions of adults and children worldwide, encouraging them to explore, connect, and see things differently.
Chronicle Books is committed to publishing authors, illustrators, and creators of diverse backgrounds and points of view. We enjoy collaborating with authors to further our work as a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and collaborative publishing house.
To encourage submissions from a wide range of potential authors, Chronicle Books has an open submissions policy. We accept unagented submissions of any projects suited to our list, from brilliant books to innovative gift products.
Before sending projects to us, please read the following guidelines carefully.
- Adult Trade Submissions
- Children’s Submissions (picture books, middle grade, or young adult)
- Portfolio Submissions (freelance illustrator, photographer, or other visual artist guidelines)
- Freelance Writer Submissions
Adult Trade Submissions
Chronicle Books publishes a wide range of nonfiction books on our adult trade list, in categories such as cooking, fine art, design, photography, pop culture, fashion, beauty, home décor, personal relationships, and more. We also publish innovative formats, such as interactive journals, decks, games, stationery, and much, much more. Please note: We do not acquire adult fiction.
Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our publishing before you pitch!
- We currently accept submissions by email only, which can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please attach your proposal to your email as a single Word file or PDF, and keep the file under 5MB or less to ensure delivery. Outside links and downloads may not be opened due to security risks.
- Please allow six months for the editors to review a proposal.
- Given the volume of proposals we receive, we cannot ensure that we will be able to personally respond to each submission unless we are interested in pursuing the project.
- Because we currently only accept digital submissions, we are not responsible for any materials that our mailed to our physical location.
What to Include in Your Proposal
- A one-page cover letter giving a brief description of the project and why you think Chronicle Books should publish it. If your proposal is a simultaneous submission, please indicate this in your cover letter.
- Any available sample content to give us a clear picture of the project; this may include an outline, introduction, sample illustrations or photographs, sample captions, sample recipes or cards, and/or sample chapters.
- An analysis of the potential readership for the book. Who is the consumer? Include a list of similar titles that are already available on the market, including the publisher, date of publication, and a brief explanation of how your project differs.
- An author/illustrator/photographer biography that includes any publishing credits or credentials in the field.
The Chronicle Books offices are temporarily closed. However, the Chronicle Children's group remains open to unagented submissions, sent in hardcopy. Due to the majority of Chronicle Books staff working from home, any submissions received at this time will remain under consideration at least through the end of 2021. As per our submissions policy, every submission will be reviewed, but until further notice, we cannot guarantee a specific timeline for this review. Thank you for your understanding!
If you wish to submit a hardcopy manuscript or proposal, please follow our guidelines for submission, below:
Chronicle Books publishes an eclectic mixture of traditional and innovative children's books. We are looking for projects that have a unique bent—be it in subject matter, writing style, or illustrative technique—and that will lend our list a distinctive flair. We are interested in fiction and nonfiction books for children of all ages, as well as board books, decks, activity kits, and other unusual or novelty formats.
- Chronicle Books will only accept children's book submissions on paper. No compact discs, flashdrives, CDs, etc, will be reviewed. Email submissions will not be reviewed unless there are extenuating circumstances that prevent you from mailing a hard copy of your submission.
- No materials submitted will be returned. Since we aren't able to return any submissions, please do not send original art or anything you don't want to part with. Anything from photocopies to tear sheets will do.
- If we are interested in your submission, you can expect to hear from us within six months after we receive your submission. Chronicle Books will not respond to an unsolicited submission unless interested in publishing it.
- If your proposal is a simultaneous submission, please indicate this in your cover letter.
What to Include in Your Proposal
- Books for younger children may be submitted in their entirety without querying first. Projects for older children—such as chapter books or YA novels—should be submitted by query letter, synopsis, and three (3) sample chapters.
- If you have multiple project proposals, please note that we will not accept more than three (3) submissions by the same author and/or illustrator during the same 6-month period. If you are submitting more than one at the same time, please include all of them in the same package.
- For manuscripts that are part of a series, please submit the first installment only. Information about the rest of the series may be included in the cover letter.
- If you would like confirmation that your submission was received, please include a self-addressed stamped postcard. Self-addressed, stamped envelopes will not be returned.
Where to Send Your Proposal
Chronicle Books, Children's
680 Second Street
San Francisco, California 94107
We receive more than 1,000 children's book submissions every month. For this reason, we are not able to track receipt of or answer queries about individual submissions.
PLEASE NOTE: These guidelines are for informational purposes only and do not constitute a solicitation of any manuscript, artwork, transparencies, or other material. Submission of any materials shall be done at the author /illustrator's own risk of loss or damage.
We often hire freelance illustrators, artists, and photographers to develop commissioned artwork for books and products.
If you are interested in being considered for contract design, illustration, or photography work on our projects, please send your website address to email@example.com. We prefer links to external portfolios rather than email attachments.
Freelance Writer Submissions
We often hire freelance writers for book projects, particularly in humor, pop-culture, or other specialized categories, and occasionally for non-book formats with written content, such as decks, guided journals, or other gift products.
If you are interested in being considered for contract writing work on our projects, please send your website portfolio address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please particularly call out any writing with a long-form focus, and if you have a particular field of experience or are passionate about a particular topic, please share that with us! We will keep your information on file, and reach out if we have a project in mind that you might be a fit for.
PLEASE NOTE: These guidelines are for informational purposes only and do not constitute a solicitation of any manuscript, artwork, transparencies, or other material.