200 incredible women. 126 hours of interviews. 16,000 photographs. 5 questions.
A snapshot of female life around the globe: This book includes interviews with 200 women from a variety of backgrounds takes you on a journey that’s heartbreaking and uplifting. Each woman shares her unique reply to the same five questions: What really matters to you?, What brings you happiness?, What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?, What would you change if you could?, and Which single word do you most identify with? The variety of answers offers gifts of empowerment and strength – inviting us to bring positive change at a time when so many are fighting for basic freedom and equality.
- Jane Goodall, conservation and animal welfare activist
- Margaret Atwood, author and winner of The Booker Prize
- Roxane Gay, author and feminist
- Renée Montagne, former host of NPR's Morning Edition
- Alicia Garza, activist and co-founder of Black Lives Matter
- Alfre Woodard, award-winning actor and activist
- Marian Wright Edelman, head of the Children's Defense Fund
- Lydia Ko, professional golfer and Olympian
- Dolores Huerta, labor activist, community organizer, and co-founder of the National Farm Workers Association
- Alice Waters, chef, author, and food rights advocate
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, author and Macarthur Foundation fellow
Each interview is accompanied by a photographic portrait, resulting in a volume that is compelling in word and image—and global in its scope and resonance. This landmark book is published to coincide with an interactive website, building on this remarkable, ever-evolving project.
200 Women reminds us that there are no ordinary women.
- Makes a wonderful birthday, graduation, going away gift, or coffee table gift for every woman to encourage personal growth.
- An empowering book for women, teen girls, or anyone looking for inspiration from luminaries across the world.
For more information click here to visit the 200 Women website.
Sharon Gelman is an award-winning human rights activist, writer, and media producer, who lives in Washington, D.C.
Celebrate Black History Month!
Honor the struggle, triumph, and beauty of the Black experience with these titles from Chronicle Books.Explore the collection →