Feminist Bird Club's Birding for a Better World
Through the Feminist Bird Club, Molly Adams and Sydney Golden Anderson have walked the walk of inclusive birding; in Birding for a Better World, they talk the talk-this book got me to examine overlooked injustices, in and out of birding."
-Christian Cooper, author of Better Living Through Birding and host/consulting producer of National Geographic's Extraordinary Birder TV show
"It's a beautiful package for a beautiful idea: that a shared love of birds could also be a collective learning experience in social and ecological justice."
-Jenny Odell, author of How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
A celebration of birding as an inclusive activity for everyone, from organizing members of the Feminist Bird Club.
Birding is for everyone. That is the sentiment on which the Feminist Bird Club (FBC) was founded in 2016 and the spirit that is celebrated in this original and timely book. In these pages, Molly Adams, FBC founder, and Sydney Golden Anderson offer readers: • A celebration of birding and the outdoors
• Examples of how inclusive, affirming, and joyful an activity birding can be
• Awareness of the crucial inclusivity issues facing birding communities today
• Related ideas for radical inclusivity and how to break down barriers around birding for marginalized communities
• Information on the ecological challenges facing birds and all life on earth including habitat loss and warming temperatures
• Actionable steps everyone can take toward environmental justice
• Journaling prompts throughout to offer moments of self-reflection
• Ninety original illustrations from the FBC community
The Feminist Bird Club's Birding for a Better World illustrates how anyone can engage in the universally available activity of birding, and support equity and environmental justice at the same time, making an excellent gift or self-purchase for seasoned birders and beginners alike, as well as for nature lovers, social justice activists, and anyone seeking actionable information about accessibility and inclusivity in the birding community.
Celebrate Black History Month!
Honor the struggle, triumph, and beauty of the Black experience with these titles from Chronicle Books.Explore the collection →