A warm, inviting celebration of beloved keepsakes and the stories they hold.
A set of old apartment keys, a pair of worn running shoes, a declaration of love scribbled on a restaurant receipt. Beautiful stories that celebrate the power an object can hold are at the heart of The Heirloomist by photographer Shana Novak, creator of the project of the same name dedicated to documenting keepsakes and transforming them into uniquely meaningful works of art. The 100 objects featured here range from the everyday to the extraordinary. Treasured heirlooms to their owners, ordinary folks and cultural figures alike, they hold remarkable stories such as:
- Nora McInerny on the fork that began her relationship with her late husband.
- The sculpture that inspired Christy Turlington to fight for maternal healthcare.
- The charm bracelet Nate Berkus gifted his daughter in stylish family tradition.
- Rosanne Cash’s love for her children represented by baby shoes.
- Andrew Zimmern’s inherited steel carving set that began a storied career in food.
FOR FANS ART BOOKS LIKE HUMANS OF NEW YORK: The Heirloomist contains dozens of striking portraits of seemingly ordinary objects along with fascinating stories that will resonate with readers long after they've been read. The ultimate coffee table book, it is at once visually engaging and warmly entertaining.
BASED ON A BELOVED BRAND: Through her business and popular Instagram account of the same name, photographer Shana Novak turns treasured keepsakes into uniquely meaningful works of art. As @theheirloomist, Shana has become a living receptacle for her clients’ stories, absorbing them as she strives to capture the essence of what makes each keepsake special to its owner in her photographs, and sharing them with her strong audience of devoted followers. Perfect for:
- Fans of The Heirloomist project and @theheirloomist social media accounts
- Lovers of found objects and the stories behind them
- Photography enthusiasts and photography book collectors
- Anyone seeking unique Mother's Day or Father's Day gifts
- Readers of the New Yorker and story collections such as Humans of New York, Advanced Style, and Worn Stories