Over and Under the Rainforest
“[C]hannels the mystery and magic of the natural world. Part outdoor adventure, part animal nonfiction book, this exciting blend will delight children interested in fact and fiction. [Over and Under the Rainforest d]raws you right in.”
Award-winning duo Kate Messner and Christopher Silas Neal take readers on a thrilling tour of one of the most diverse ecosystems on planet earth: the rainforests of Central America.
Discover the wonder that lies hidden among the roots, above the winding rivers, and under the emerald leaves of the rainforest.
• Features animals like the slender parrot snake to the blue morpho butterfly
• Explores the canopies, where toucans and pale-billed woodpeckers chatter and call
• Other animals include capuchin monkeys who swing from vines and slow-moving sloths who wait out daily thunderstorms
Under the canopy of the rainforest hundreds of animals make their homes, but up in the leaves hides another world.
This stunning read is perfect for kids who can't get enough of the rainforest and all the animals living in it.
• Equal parts educational and beautiful, this book is perfect for parents and grandparents, as well as librarians, science teachers, and educators.
• A great gift for kids who love nature, rainforests, animals, and learning more about the world
• Perfect for children ages 5 to 8 years old
• Add it to the shelf with books like The Big Book of Bugs by Yuval Zommer, The Animal Book by Lonely Planet Kids, and A Butterfly Is Patient by Dianna Aston.
"[C]hannels the mystery and magic of the natural world. Part outdoor adventure, part animal nonfiction book, this exciting blend will delight children interested in fact and fiction. [Over and Under the Rainforest d]raws you right in."
"Children who’d love to see Amazonia can visit in a vicarious way with Kate Messner’s Over and Under the Rainforest, illustrated in muted, stylized fashion by Christopher Silas Neal. . . . [An] easygoing picture-book excursion for readers ages 4-8."
—The Wall Street Journal
"[S]imply told and lushly illustrated. . . [Over and Under the Rainforest] offers an engaging and easy introduction to animal habitats."
"Over and Under the Rainforest by the award-winning duo of Kate Messner and illustrator Christopher Silas Neal, is. . . [an] educational and beautifully illustrated story brings the diversity of the rainforest to young readers."
—San Francisco Book Review
"Lush mixed-media illustrations in shades of teal and violet vary in perspective, seamlessly shifting from sweeping aerial views to close-ups of animals, insects, and plants. . . Capturing the mysterious and magical beauty of the tropical biome, [Over and Under the Rainforest] is sure to encourage further rainforest investigation."
—The Horn Book Magazine
"[E]ngaging. . . educational. . . Every page is an adventure and will have children wondering what they’ll discover next. . . . Perfect for children who have an interest in the natural world."
—School Library Journal
"Over and Under the Rainforest is perfect for kids who can't get enough of the rainforest and all the animals living in it. Both entertaining and educational, [it] is especially recommended for family, daycare center, preschool, elementary school, and community library picture book collections."
—Midwest Book Review
Celebrate Black History Month!
Honor the struggle, triumph, and beauty of the Black experience with these titles from Chronicle Books.Explore the collection →