This Book Is a Planetarium
Defying every expectation of what a book can be, this pop-up extravaganza transforms into six fully functional tools. Never has humble paper had such radical ambitions.
"As impossible as it seems, this brilliant book allows its reader to manipulate scientific concepts like light, sound, time, and space. It is an irresistible treat for all ages."—Amazon reviewer
A completely unique and incredibly cool pop-up science book for adults and kids who love design, interactive art, and paper toys, This Book is a Planetarium is a single volume that turns into:
- A working planetarium book projecting constellations on the ceilings and walls
- A musical instrument with strings to strum
- A geometric drawing generator
- An infinite calendar
- A message decoder
- A speaker that amplifies sound
Artist Kelli Anderson contributes enlightening text alongside each pop-up, explaining the scientific principles at play in her constructions and creating an interactive experience that's as educational as it is extraordinary. Inspiring awe that lasts long after the initial pop, This Book Is a Planetarium leaves readers with a renewed appreciation for the way things work—and for the enduring magic of books.
- Fans of adult pop-up books like Robert Sabuda's Encyclopedia Prehistorica Dinosaurs: The Definitive Pop-Up, Matthew Reinhart's Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Guide to Hogwarts, and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Interactive MinaLima edition
- Birthday, Father's Day, Mother's Day, graduation, holiday, and roommate gifts for men and women
- Displaying alongside art, fashion, and design coffee table books or gift books that celebrate science such as Neil deGrasse Tyson's Welcome to the Universe in 3D
“A wondrous pop-up masterpiece that translates the laws of physics, from light to time, into magical hands-on demonstrations…. This Book Is a Planetarium is immeasurably delightful, an achievement of elaborate engineering that feels somehow as spare and precise as a poem.”
Celebrate Black History Month!
Honor the struggle, triumph, and beauty of the Black experience with these titles from Chronicle Books.Explore the collection →