Art + Design

Paris Sketchbook

Spring is springing, and with it, the travel bug hatches. Adventure awaits and wide, open spaces beckon. A favorite destination is always Paris—a city that makes the heart soar.

In May, Paris Sketchbook will be published by Laurence King. It is a compilation of sketches and collages by artist and fashion illustrator Jason Brooks, and it captures the romance, beauty, light, and sights of this inimitable city.

From elegant architecture

to romantic street scenes

and iconic landmarks,

Paris stands above and apart.

Individual chapters include Le Café,

and La Nuit, the city at night.

After years of filing visual reports from the couture shows, Jason became accustomed to drawing quickly to capture an impression.

From his numerous trips, his personal sketchbooks grew and grew and GREW. Paris Sketchbook reflects Jason’s observations and glimpses of a city that he has come to know intimately, on and beyond the fashion runway.

Please share what makes Paris special to you below for the chance to win a free copy of Paris Sketchbook!

Debra Matsumoto
US Publicity and Marketing Manager
Laurence King

Subscribe to our monthly Art + Design Newsletter.

Debra Matsumoto

Debra Matsumoto

Debra Matsumoto is the US Publicity & Marketing Manager for Laurence King. Her favorite day is spent getting lost in a museum, and yes, she has always loved to color.
Debra Matsumoto

Latest posts by Debra Matsumoto (see all)

• Lien April 26, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I love Parisian fashion!

• Nari April 26, 2013 at 8:06 pm

There aren't enough words in the English language to describe what makes Paris special to me. Its where I spent 6 days on my honeymoon, its where I ate my first macaron, had wine with a cheese baguette on the hotel balcony, watching Parisienne life pass by beneath us life a real flanuer. The history, the architecture, the food, wine, people, metro, everything makes it special to me.

• mirabelle April 27, 2013 at 9:10 am

I love the smell in the autumn air complete with a freshly roasted poulet roti from one of the many markets.

• jamarattigan April 27, 2013 at 9:43 am

Boulangeries and patisseries around every corner. Yum! 🙂

• @4edges April 29, 2013 at 9:26 am

I once spent a month in Paris and adored it—such a lovely city work walking. It was pure luxury to spend as much time as I could in the many art galleries and museums. The cultural heritage of Paris is immense.

• debra April 29, 2013 at 11:46 am

You spent an entire MONTH in Paris? I'm so jealous! Oui, oui, the museums are really spectacular.

• Erin April 29, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I love the food–Paris is one of the only places I've traveled where the food is as good as it is in San Francisco. I also love watching and listening to the tourists. So many languages! So much joy! I look forward to visiting it again one day, hopefully soon.

• Karen April 29, 2013 at 1:08 pm

i'm fascinated by the architecture, but less about the churches and monument and more about the beautiful residential buildings. (of course the churches and monuments are gorgeous, too!)

• Debra April 29, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I agree Karen–it seems that Paris is a city where every building is gorgeous! Even the so-called "ordinary" residences of everyday folk. Thanks so much for writing in.
      Debra

• Freya April 29, 2013 at 1:10 pm

My parents sent me to a bilingual French school starting in PreK, when no one in my family spoke a word of French. When I graduated at 13 my gift was a trip this magnificent city. To say that I was completely overwhelmed by the buildings, the art, the food, the fashion and the noise would be an understatement. It was a glorious trip. I had the chance to take my 13 years old two years ago and while perhaps the fashion did not speak to him in the same way, the history and the food … oh the food, left a lasting and lifelong impression on him too.

• Debra April 29, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Freya, you are sooooo lucky to have had that wonderful experience! And how fabulous that you continuing the tradition. Thank you for sharing.
      Merci!
      Debra

• nicoleslawski April 29, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I haven't been to Paris… yet. To visit is the dream. The fantasy is part of the allure, I think. 🙂

• debra April 29, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Not to worry! You will get there. I am certain! Paris beckons and always wins. Good luck! You need this book to feed the dream.
      Thanks for writing,
      Debra

• Amy Joy Eoff April 29, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Paris is lovely and full of delightful sights and amusements.

• Shawna April 29, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Well… isn't everything about Paris lovely!?! The buildings, the fashion, the music, the art… well, you get the idea.

• Philipp April 29, 2013 at 1:30 pm

No matter how jaded I feel when I arrive, it always warns my heart. Just the tiny Rue Rembrandt alone can transport me.

• Lillian April 29, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I've yet to visit Paris in person, but I'd have to say that the place it occupies in my imagination is what makes the city special to me. Romance, beauty, music, food — oh, the food! — pretty much all of it together is what I love.

• debra April 29, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Are you certain you've never been?? Because you mention all of the city's charms. Obviously, you understand the city very well! I am glad you wrote in and shared.
      Merci beaucoup,
      Debra

• Renee April 29, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I'll never forget the moment when my friend and I were on the metro, zooming through Parisian buildings, on our way to the Eiffel Tower (which we could see in between the buildings) while a man played his accordion.

• Nancy Orlikow April 29, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Paris awakens my every sense and especially my creative muse. Everywhere I look is a visual delight – I love that aesthetics permeate every aspect of Paris and leave me breathless and wanting more! I plan to do an illustrated travel book of Paris soon, after just being there in January – my heart is still brighter from being there again!!

• debra April 29, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Breathless is right on! Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm and articulating it so poetically Nancy. I am sure your book will capture all of the city's charms.
      You're obviously a regular visitor so I will sign off with Bon Voyage!
      Debra

• KittyPride April 29, 2013 at 2:10 pm

The romance of Paris and the lovely sketches which add to the ambiance, tres beau!

• L. R. April 29, 2013 at 2:26 pm

The way light falls in Paris–the special slant of the sun, the rosy haze in the morning, the gold of the late afternoon, the bluish evening–leaves you with the feeling that something special is always just around the corner. You can wander through the narrow, curving streets and think "oh, yes." Not about anything particular, just the affirmation. The gentle decay of the city is made exquisite in this light. And there is nothing like being kissed as the last of the Parisian light fades into gathering darkness.

• Kat April 29, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I'm heading there in June with three friends to celebrate our 40th! Each time I visit I fall in love even more. The illustrations in this book are so charming! I may have to pick up this lovely book up in anticipation of the trip!

• Denise J. April 29, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I've never been to Paris but it's one of the top cities I long to experience. When captured in art, films, words and photos it seems to be a place filled with magic, romance, history and simply loaded with sensory overload. Jason Brooks' book seems to do that as well, gorgeous!

• debra April 29, 2013 at 6:09 pm

For someone who has yet to visit, you certainly are well aware of the city's charms. Thank you for writing Denise, and for sharing your enthusiasm for both Paris and Jason's work.
      Debra

• @starcrossedsmil April 29, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Paris is absolutely magical. I've only been once for a short period of time, but I fell in love with the city immediately. From the history and architecture to the people and food, Paris is absolutely fascinating. I hope I have the opportunity to return soon!

• Paula Z April 29, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I am transported to the City of Lights.

• Chloe April 29, 2013 at 6:20 pm

It's where I spent 1 year, the most precious time in my life. I was only 14 at that time and it changed my life and my attitude toward life entirely. Now that I have my little baby, I wish to introduce him the world I was fascinated to. It's the first outside he needs to learn except his home town.

• debra April 30, 2013 at 11:35 am

Bon jour Chloe! What a rare and special opportunity you had at the impressionable age of 14. And today, you have those memories.
      Thank you so much for sharing.
      Debra

• Nancy April 29, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I went to Paris when I was 17. I remember so many things, but I remember all the lights in the trees at night. It was beautiful.

• Laura April 29, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Suprisingly, it is not I that loves Paris. It is my 5 yr old daughter! We started reading Madeline books when she was 3. At which point she wanted to learn a "language" Most kids nowadays, go for Dora's language. Not my daughter! She wanted French!! She has been our "soup chef" for years now…LOL (She couldn't say "sous chef") and has since stated she wants to go to Paris to be a Chef! Grand ideas for someone so young..but then again that is when you should have your grandest ideas! She has just started to notice architecture and definitely getting into "fashion" In only the way a 5 yr olds opinion can interpret such a complex and subjective topic. After all, the youth are our future!

• debra April 30, 2013 at 11:46 am

I'm sure many Francophiles began their love affair with the Madeline books, and it sounds like your daughter is well on her way to being our next Julia Child. Wonderful!!
      Thanks for writing.
      Debra

• Minnie April 30, 2013 at 8:17 am

As Mehitabel would say, Paris makes me toujours gai toujours gai.

• Zummi April 30, 2013 at 8:58 am

Being an aspiring illustrator, and a great fan of Jason Brooks for over a decade, I am very thrilled about this book as I have seen and heard so many good things about Paris yet never had the chance to experience it myself yet – but I'm planning to visit by the end of this year!

From watching so many French movies for years, to seeing its amazing sights on postcards, books, documentaries, fashion shows, and having caught a glimpse of this book – I'm really looking forward to experiencing Paris, and spending a few afternoons in cafe's sketching its people, architecture, pretty sights and this book would be the perfect inspiration for it!

Zummi http://cargocollective.com/zummi

• Joseph Granata April 30, 2013 at 11:19 am

Where does one start on what makes Paris special? Well, at the start I guess. Some people may find it weird to think about where they were conceived, but I feel rather lucky to say that I was conceived in Paris, (in a hotel somewhere off the Champs Elysees!) I never made it to Paris until I was 9 and being an art and culture geek even then, I fell in love with the place. The bright little cafes on nearly EVERY street with their deep red canopies, the bluest skies I think I have ever seen whilst looking up at La Tour Eiffel or the skyscrapers of La Defense, the greenest trees in Jardin de Tuileries… Subsequent visits have let me wanting to return more and more. To wake up and open windows onto a balcony high above a busy boulevard, to stroll along the Seine and hear jazz being played by a busker, to sit in a small brasserie and eat real food, to bask in the shop lights of Rivoli or Honoré and then while the sun is setting, to climb the steep steps of Montmartre, and turn back to see families watching, friends talking, lovers kissing all beneath the most beautiful sight that is a Parisian sunset…

• @heyutes April 30, 2013 at 11:34 am

Having never been it's hard to say but it seems so romantic and that is why I have always wanted to visit with my hubby

• debra May 1, 2013 at 11:50 am

Bon jour and thank you for writing in. You must, should, and will visit one day with your husband and it will provide you with a lifetime of memories!
      Debra

• tina @ colourliving April 30, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Paris, the most romantic city in the wirld.

In my 20’s I had a boyfriend there for 7 years and lived the best romance. The food, the architecture, the language, culture and of course ‘L’Amour’.

Thank you for the opportunity.

• debra May 8, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Renee and Denise J were randomly selected to receive a free copy of PARIS SKETCHBOOK. Bon voyage, and thanks to everyone for sharing their enthusiasm for a very special city.