Every gift starts with the wrapping, and Pretty Packages author Sally J Shim makes sure the outside is as special as the inside. Here’s an exclusive tutorial that Sally created just for the Chronicle Blog that proves a small offering can feel generous.
Washi Tape Glassine Gift Bag
Glassine bags are translucent bags that are perfect for holding party favors, small gifts, or edible treats. They are ideal to use when you want to show what is inside. I keep a stash of glassine bags in various sizes in my studio and they always come in handy for packaging gifts. Washi tape comes in various colors, patterns, and widths, which you can also cut to your preferred width using an X-ACTO knife, ruler, and cutting mat.
- Washi tape in different colors and patterns
- Glassine bag
- Thank you stickers (Optional. Download a printable sheet.)
- Scalloped scissors (optional)
- Pinking shears (optional)
- Cutting mat
- X-ACTO knife
- Place thank you stickers on the glassine bag, if desired. Use scalloped scissors and/or pinking shears to cut scalloped/zig-zag edges on your washi tape. Place the washi tape on the cutting mat and use the x-acto knife and ruler to cut the tape in half lengthwise. Stick the tape straight across the bag, and use scissors to trim the ends of the tape flush with the bag.
- Add treats and seal the top of the bag with a piece of washi tape.
Sally J Shim
Author of Pretty Packages: 45 Creative Gift-Wrapping Projects
Latest posts by Sally J Shim (see all)
- Make Your Own Colorful + Modern Valentine’s Day Cards - February 10, 2016
- #GiveBooks: Corrugated Paper Book Wrap - December 15, 2014
- Pretty Packages - September 9, 2014
8 Conferences that Target Diversity in PublishingSeptember 26th, 2018
Hey Creative Person, This Pep Talk is For YouApril 18th, 2018
8 Free Online Databases to Find Diverse ArtistsFebruary 28th, 2018